What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    62 strokes for 25 SCY? WOW! that's a lot.... What would be a good stroke count for that distance? e.
  • Former Member
    If I go over 20 its when I'm really, really tired and my form goes to pot. If I really push it, I can go to about 14. But a lot of people can do 12 or even less when they push it.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by swimmer_steph The scary thing is I actually have a guy like that at my gym's pool. Seriously. I've dubbed him CPG = Creepy Pool Guy, and this is at a very nice and not inexpensive gym, so he's obviously a paying member. He is always looking at certain female swimmers. Wait, looking is inaccurate. He is staring at us ... We have a guy like that. Only he doesn't swim or lift or run or do any sort of workout whatsoever. He just showers. He stands in the men's shower -- WITH HIS GLASSES ON -- for a good half hour, apparently just watching the rest of us guys as we cycle through the showers. I refer to him as "Shower Boy." (Like most men's showers at YMCAs, we just have gang showers. No curtains, etc.) (Isn't it cool that we have names for various people? Many of the people at my pool call me Flipper (and my wife Mrs Flipper) because we do good flip turns.)
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Guvnah We have a guy like that. Only he doesn't swim or lift or run or do any sort of workout whatsoever. He just showers. We have a guy like that too. Almost every day, he just goes straight from the front door to the locker room and showers. He doesn't bring a towel, so he dries off with paper towels and one of the blow dryers. And he does his laundry in the locker room sink. Either he is homeless, or very cheap, or likes hanging around the men's locker room.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Guvnah We have a guy like that. Only he doesn't swim or lift or run or do any sort of workout whatsoever. He just showers. He stands in the men's shower -- WITH HIS GLASSES ON -- for a good half hour, apparently just watching the rest of us guys as we cycle through the showers. I refer to him as "Shower Boy." (Like most men's showers at YMCAs, we just have gang showers. No curtains, etc.) (Isn't it cool that we have names for various people? Many of the people at my pool call me Flipper (and my wife Mrs Flipper) because we do good flip turns.) Okay -- now that is way creepy. Shower Boy? Perhaps we could introduce CPG to Shower Boy and they could just stare at each other while we swim... BTW, Flipper, the little old ladies at my pool have dubbed me "Lap Girl." :p I love this sport...
  • Whoa, after all the creepy guy talk, I am relieved to only have to deal with the old two armed backstrokers who cannot stay on their side of the lane!!
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Guvnah (Isn't it cool that we have names for various people? Many of the people at my pool call me Flipper (and my wife Mrs Flipper) because we do good flip turns.) I'm kinda of worried about what name other swimmers at the pool have for me, but I know I have names for them... there's "Stretch-cord-string-bikini-woman", the "Southern Belle backstroker", "Red speedo man", "jealous of her butterfly", and a number of "old dudes walking". Apparently, though, I am quite lucky to NOT have a creepy pool guy (yet- touch wood). Eww. Kae
  • I've mentioned the "Sweat Peddler" before on this forum. He was the guy at my old pool who would dry his dripping wet with sweat shorts in the swimsuit spinner. Mind you he wore the same pair of shorts every day and put them in the spinner immediately after he got out of the steam room. I swam at a Y in Hartford while on assignment and there was "Oddly Sudsy Mid Riff Boy." Yes, this guy took a one hour shower and sudsed up aggressively in, um, that region. Quite a motivation to get in and out of the shower area very, very quickly.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Kae1 I'm kinda of worried about what name other swimmers at the pool have for me, but I know I have names for them... there's "Stretch-cord-string-bikini-woman", the "Southern Belle backstroker", "Red speedo man", "jealous of her butterfly", and a number of "old dudes walking". I wonder if anyone can top "Floating Cadaver". The guy "swims" on his back sooooo slowly. He barely moves. Literally, it takes him more than 5 minutes per 50 yards. I'm sure some people have other names for me (under their breath...) I know "Wet Suit Lady" doesn't like me. And then there is the "Frantic Poodle". She is rather petite, and complains that the water is too cold. (84 degrees...) When she first gets in she does this really brisk doggy-paddle with her arms and a bicycle-like kick to get warm, and to me she looks like a frantic poodle. And "Spider Lady" who has the fastest (but short and choppy) freestyle stroke I've ever seen. Her arms go so fast it looks like she has 8 arms!
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Guvnah I wonder if anyone can top "Floating Cadaver". The guy "swims" on his back sooooo slowly. He barely moves. Literally, it takes him more than 5 minutes per 50 yards. I have a "floating cadaver", except in my case it's a lady who takes a several minutes to do one 25 yard length. She's not even flat on her back; she's kind of on her side, almost on her back, with her head sticking out, and she makes groaning sounds the whole time like she is in pain. Perhaps she had surgery or something. The only truely annoying thing to me is that she almost always chooses the designated fast lane and floats in the middle of the lane. The slowest lane has a stairway for physically less able people which gets in the way for normal lap swimming, and she could be doing the cadaver swim in that lane.... but no. I could go on-and-on about all the strange characters and swimming styles that I have encountered.