Neck soreness from kick sets?

Former Member
Former Member
My neck gets super sore from doing lots of kick sets. Any advice on how to avoid that? Thanks!
  • Is it due to holding your head up while using a kickboard? My neck and back would bother me doing long kick sets with a board. Most of the time now I use a snorkel without a board and kick in streamline. Easier on the back and neck and gets me into a better overall body alignment. Mark
  • Try putting your head down and breathing as if swimming or ditch the kick board and just kick.
  • Try putting your head down and breathing as if swimming or ditch the kick board and just kick. Yeah, this. Wear your goggles if necessary. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Yeah, it's from holding my head up at a weird angle with a board. I'll give these ideas a shot, thanks!
  • Former Member
    Yeah, it's from holding my head up at a weird angle with a board. I'll give these ideas a shot, thanks! Used a small pull buoy instead of a kick broad, I do that sometimes.
  • I do most of my kick sets with a center-mount snorkel. Not only does this take pressure off of the neck, but it helps with head and body alignment in general.
  • Former Member
    Used a small pull buoy instead of a kick broad, I do that sometimes. Oh, I hadn't thought of that! I was thinking a small length of pool noodle might work well, too. Thanks!
  • The neck issue is definatly from using a kick board. While I do some with a board my best is this: Kick flutter on your back. Get your arms hand over hand and your elbows as close together as you can. This will allow you to cradle your head and completely relax your neck. Breathing will also be easier. Remember to use a shallow high frequency kick and not over bend your knees. Loose ankles are a must and think of each leg as a whip with the toes being the tip and just breaking the surface each kick. Head back and hips up will get you a great streamline also.
  • > Kick flutter on your back.... I also like to kick some with my hands in the air (elbows at least out of the water). Forces me to keep my head in the right position, and breathe with my diaphragm (both of which seem to help get my feet back to the surface). Also takes the strain off sore shoulders.