Do you do dryland exercises?

Former Member
Former Member
I suppose the pros do a lot of dryland exercises since that's part of their living :D What about the amateurs? Is it crucial in order to swim right and well? Especially the core training?
  • I was thinking that way myself (I think the trainer I got at the gym was a little over zealous about scheduling.) Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    My in season regime is --- 3 days in the pool + 4 days at the gym with weights and cardio for 1 1/2 - 2 hours + one training session with my swim specific trainer. Not too bad for a 70 years of age swimmer that took High point trophy in the state and 5 medals at Greensboro nationals! :applaud::applaud:
  • Since most of my swim workouts are at 24 Hour Fitness, I have an area for stretching, and various machines for exercising and weightlifting. I have no excuse not to do dryland exercises.
  • Yeah, I'm at a 24 Hour Fitness, too, and they are really nicely set up to make it easy to do both my swimming and dryland stuff. Just to update, I'll probably do 3 days swimming 2-3 days strength training. I have to remind myself that I'm still recovering from injury, so...
  • Pre-swim routine, 6 days/week: Foam roller (full body routine takes about 10-15 minutes) Dynamic stretching (Arm circles, leg circles ankle circles, etc., 5 minutes) Post-swim routine (45 minutes): Physical Therapy exercises assigned by past/current PT's. (Theraband, hand weights, etc.) Crunches Planks Yoga (Ahhhh...:bliss:)
  • Generally speaking, I think it can be good. The difficulty is managing energy levels and making sure you're not too tired or sore to swim. My dryland training is minimal by design. Also, I've had great seasons where I did very little (or practically nothing) outside of the pool in the months leading up to the big meet.
  • Former Member
    I do 3 x 1 hr swim, 3 x weights (usually a bit less than an hour). I guess that 6 swims might be as beneficial, and in certain (esp 200 *** LC!) events I'd probably swim faster. However: I like the variety and would soon get bored of swimming all the time; I enjoy strength work; I think it keeps me leaner; I can do it in between dropping off and picking up the kids at their sports; it helps me swim faster (at least in the shorter events); it helps my mobility; there are health benefits that swimming won't provide.... ...and so on. For me it is only positive. I invest in a strength and conditioning coach that helps with programming and assessment, with occasional support in the gym (i.e. not a personal trainer) and that really helps to make sure that I get benefit from it. I can confidently plan my own swim work, not so much gym. To gdanner's point - when I was setting my own programme I was flogging myself. Now, I have support for a 'minimal dose response' approach - do what you need to do and no more. However, I don't see being sore in the pool as an issue in itself as it's all part of my training - not getting in the way of my training.
  • Former Member
    Robert, you showed excellent result in London. Sincerely I congratulate :applaud:!!!!!! To have 1.09 by 100 m a breaststroke at three trainings a week in the pool it is super :applaud:!!!!!!
  • Former Member
    Robert, you showed excellent result in London. Sincerely I congratulate :applaud:!!!!!! To have 1.09 by 100 m a breaststroke at three trainings a week in the pool it is super :applaud:!!!!!! Thank you - very kind. Incidentally, I don't think that by doing much more my times would drop that much over 100m. A warm up probably would have helped more ;-). I felt very strong over the 100m LC off my training. Less so in the 200m. I was done by 150m but set my focus on the shorter events.