Do you do dryland exercises?

Former Member
Former Member
I suppose the pros do a lot of dryland exercises since that's part of their living :D What about the amateurs? Is it crucial in order to swim right and well? Especially the core training?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I do 3 x 1 hr swim, 3 x weights (usually a bit less than an hour). I guess that 6 swims might be as beneficial, and in certain (esp 200 *** LC!) events I'd probably swim faster. However: I like the variety and would soon get bored of swimming all the time; I enjoy strength work; I think it keeps me leaner; I can do it in between dropping off and picking up the kids at their sports; it helps me swim faster (at least in the shorter events); it helps my mobility; there are health benefits that swimming won't provide.... ...and so on. For me it is only positive. I invest in a strength and conditioning coach that helps with programming and assessment, with occasional support in the gym (i.e. not a personal trainer) and that really helps to make sure that I get benefit from it. I can confidently plan my own swim work, not so much gym. To gdanner's point - when I was setting my own programme I was flogging myself. Now, I have support for a 'minimal dose response' approach - do what you need to do and no more. However, I don't see being sore in the pool as an issue in itself as it's all part of my training - not getting in the way of my training.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I do 3 x 1 hr swim, 3 x weights (usually a bit less than an hour). I guess that 6 swims might be as beneficial, and in certain (esp 200 *** LC!) events I'd probably swim faster. However: I like the variety and would soon get bored of swimming all the time; I enjoy strength work; I think it keeps me leaner; I can do it in between dropping off and picking up the kids at their sports; it helps me swim faster (at least in the shorter events); it helps my mobility; there are health benefits that swimming won't provide.... ...and so on. For me it is only positive. I invest in a strength and conditioning coach that helps with programming and assessment, with occasional support in the gym (i.e. not a personal trainer) and that really helps to make sure that I get benefit from it. I can confidently plan my own swim work, not so much gym. To gdanner's point - when I was setting my own programme I was flogging myself. Now, I have support for a 'minimal dose response' approach - do what you need to do and no more. However, I don't see being sore in the pool as an issue in itself as it's all part of my training - not getting in the way of my training.
Children
No Data