Kickboard question

Former Member
Former Member
I have been trying to get back into lap swimming after many years off. I've just been doing the kickboard to start off. I do freestyle kick and breaststroke kick and aim for a mile. It takes me about 42 minutes. The pool I use is short (44 laps=mile). Is this a good time for a mile only kicking?? I feel like I'm going so slow. I'm going to get goggles so I can start adding arms next week.
  • I think 42 minutes of straight kicking is exceptional for anyone just starting back. It sounds good you are easing back into the swimming gradually. How many years did you take off?
  • OMG, kicking is my nemesis, and if I could do a mile in 42 minutes using a kickboard, I''d dance in the streets (but me and kick sets = "it's complicated"). Have you considered joining a masters' group or even an adult swim class? It would give you a better idea of your progress so far, but meanwhile I'm envious!
  • Get goggles ----- you need to do swimming + kicking + pulling.
  • A 42 minute mile is holding a pace of under 2:30 per 100 yards. That's not bad at all for kicking.
  • As a masters swimmer for years, if I can do only kicking drills continuously for 42 minutes, I would be happy. Kicking drills and I don't get along especially since my right calf muscle got torn last summer while doing kicking drills with fins. If you haven't done so, join a master's team! It is a good way to diversify your workout and get back into all your strokes at your pace.
  • I use them for (1) stroke drills, they add propulsion and help maintain target form with less energy. (2) They assist with efficiency, streamline, and body position while swimming at race pace speeds. (3) They give the shoulders a break during fly. My meet times improved following incorporating fins to my training, not a coincidence. However, my favorite use for them is swimming in Caribbean. In fact I should be there now
  • Also, what is the purpose of fins? I see a really good swimmer at my pool use them but why? You certainly shouldn't view fins as an essential piece of equipment. I think they can be (for some of the reasons steve mentioned), but lots of people also use them as a crutch to make up for having a poor kick.
  • If you work your lower body that hard, then getting the upper in shape will be a road you have been on easier. Let us know how it goes in the coming months.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks, people. When I said "many years off," I meant my entire adult life. I did swim team as a child, but have never swum for exercise as an adult. I always ran and did spinning, but I have some small but persistent injuries now that are leading me to the pool. I do teach water aerobics once or twice a week, so I'm quite comfortable in the water, but I'm just not confident in my swimming strokes. I'm very comfortable with my kick. I could go for hours and never get winded, but I know I need to add arms.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Also, what is the purpose of fins? I see a really good swimmer at my pool use them but why?