Video analysis: Beginner Butterfly

Began learning fly a few weeks ago. First 15 yards in video are awful, last ten perhaps less awful. Masters coach says: head down, more rhythm with body and less knees in kick. I'm sure she's right, but I also welcome any other tips or suggestions. Thanks! Here's a link to the video: drive.google.com/.../view
  • I wondered if anybody would ask about that pool! One of our masters coaches does some lessons in that pool, which is in a private home. Very nice setup. I, too, am envious!
  • RevChris, it's great to see that you have arrived at this stage of the butterfly in such a short period of time - but also good for you to seek a second opinion! There are a few aspects of the stroke you need to work on. Two areas that stand out are the timing of your second kick, and the insweep of your pull, which is too wide. You also need to develop a better finish. Good luck!
  • Began learning fly a few weeks ago. First 15 yards in video are awful, last ten perhaps less awful. Masters coach says: head down, more rhythm with body and less knees in kick. I'm sure she's right, but I also welcome any other tips or suggestions. Thanks! Here's a link to the video: drive.google.com/.../view :applaud: Kudos! That's pretty darn good for a newbie fly. The best part of your stroke, in my opinion, is that I see virtually no forward splash when your arms land. The very little splash is going across, from side to side. That's good! I am no fly expert myself; however, I have heard plenty from my coach on what I should (or shouldn't) be doing. I think your coach is correct with her recommendations. Keep working on those three recommendations, and you will have a beautiful fly! :agree:
  • Congratulations I am also not an expert, others will chime in for details, but addressing a few simple areas I notice might help. Tighter streamline off the wall Keep the first several dolphin kicks (before strokes start) under water. Your pushing bubbles there Try to minimally lift head for breathing - flatter These may maintain momentum and postpone fatigue good job
  • Thanks, Steve. Had not thought about the push off the wall. I appreciate the tip.
  • My thanks to Swimspire and everyone else for their encouragement and suggestions!
  • Looks pretty good for a beginner. The most obvious thing to me was something your coach already said; less knee bend on the kick. The power should come more from your core. Keep working at it, though. Now I gotta ask, is that a public pool or somebody's home? That's almost exactly how I'd imagine my personal training pool had I enough money and property to build one.
  • Yep, almost all the suggestions come back to finding the rythm needed for undulation. That's what barely begins to emerge the last ten yards in the video. My coach has had me work some with one-armed fly and just dolphin kicking with fins. I can "feel it" some with the fins, so I think I will get there. Will post another video in a few weeks, this time probably from the humble public pool where our Masters team trains!
  • I looked online for a good head lead body dolphin drill video and the best one I could find was this: www.youtube.com/watch Try this with your arms at your sides and only letting your kick be a snap at the end of a total body movement (rather than a separate movement from the knees). The more you press your chest at the front of the stroke and get your hips up - the better, IMO...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Revchris. I would agree with others here - not bad at all for someone who is attempting to swim butterfly. Can I suggest you try this. I think I'd be inclined to slow down the stroke. When your arms enter the water, don't be in too much of a hurry to start your pull. If you hold your dive, you will allow your body to follow through. This will give you an undulating stroke, which all butterfliers aim for. Start your pull to bring yourself up to the surface - if this makes sense? It's undulation you should be aiming for. If you can keep posting a video here it would help. I too, like the pool.