Phelps comeback confirmed

Former Member
Former Member
Phelps is planning on swimming at the mesa grand prix in 2 weeks: swimswam.com/.../ Speculation he is swimming 50 and 100s.
  • Guys do get cut from the NFL for repeat DUI's. The Bronco just cut a player who had one DUI, then later tested positive for alcohol he'd drank at home.
  • No swimming is not related to the thing that he did wrong. !! I thought the exact same thing...at first. But then I read that there is a code of conduct that National team members or those like MP who are getting a stipend from USA Swimming must adhere to. That is what, I believe, they based their suspension of MP on, and based upon that, rightly so.
  • I think that USAS was right to give him a 6 mo suspension.He screwed up and needs to get his life in order.If they did nothing it would be like they were condoning his behavior.I wonder if suspension from Worlds isn't to much as it is well beyond 6 mo.(I also don't think they should have chosen the team this early,but that is another story.) He checked himself into rehab.Maybe that was a publicity decision or on the advise of his attorney,but maybe he is sincere.Maybe he does have a drinking problem and is willing to work on it. If I see a patient with 2 DUIs I'm thinking "alcoholic until proved otherwise." Maybe this will be a positive turning point for him.
  • Totally different scenario as far as I'm concerned. It would put USMS in the position of undermining the sanction issued by USAS. What, we support drunk driving? Obviously, I don't speak for USMS, but I'd give that about a negative 12,000% chance of happening. MP can cool his jets for six months, and for the sake of simple human decency, as well as of the entire sport, we can thank our lucky stars there wasn't someone else coming the other way in that tunnel.
  • The difference is also that while Armstrong cheated, he didn't put another innocent person at risk. Phelps did. And it wasn't the first time. He's a dork. And what kind of an athlete treats his body that way?
  • The difference is also that while Armstrong cheated, he didn't put another innocent person at risk. well, unless you count him bullying his teammates into also cheating.
  • Armstrong's ego is out of control, and yes, he was an awful bully. But he didn't put his teammates or anyone else at risk. Believe me, as someone who's followed the cycling circuit for years, Armstrong didn't have to bully anyone into cheating. They didn't do it because he told them to, no matter what they might say in interviews. Doping has been a persistent scandal at every level of the sport, and Armstrong's behavior is not unusual for any of the cyclists who compete in the Tour de France. Phelps did put the lives of innocent people at risk, and he knew he did, and it wasn't the first time so I don't think it's a fair comparison. A lot of elite athletes have huge egos. It's a component of their personality that enables them to hit the elite ranks. Like politicians. Driving drunk is in a separate category altogether. No excuse.
  • Armstrong's ego is out of control, and yes, he was an awful bully. But he didn't put his teammates or anyone else at risk. Believe me, as someone who's followed the cycling circuit for years, Armstrong didn't have to bully anyone into cheating. They didn't do it because he told them to, no matter what they might say in interviews. Doping has been a persistent scandal at every level of the sport, and Armstrong's behavior is not unusual for any of the cyclists who compete in the Tour de France. Phelps did put the lives of innocent people at risk, and he knew he did, and it wasn't the first time so I don't think it's a fair comparison. A lot of elite athletes have huge egos. It's a component of their personality that enables them to hit the elite ranks. Like politicians. Driving drunk is in a separate category altogether. No excuse. I would give Michael an ounce of grace long before Lance. At least Michael is owning up to his stupidity and not lying for years and years like Lance. I highly doubt Michael got into his car thinking about putting peoples' lives at risk. What he did was wrong, dangerous and selfish, but I don't think he's approached Lance Armstrong levels of corruption and denial just yet...
  • Everything correct, but there's one thing I cannot understand yet: How USA Swimming ban is related to driving law offense? If he was professional driver and he was banned to do his job that would be clear. If a surgeon got drunk in the hospital and as a penalty lost his license - that's absolutely clear, he's putting at risk patients. I would understand if they canceled Michael's driving license, charged him to pay fine or even put him into prison in case if someone suffered because of the accident - that would be absolutely fair penalty aiming the problem. IMO the penalty should be related to the crime and it should bring some sort of correction to the situation. Do you really believe that banning someone from doing his job which has nothing in common with the crime is a good way to correct that person? I consider it's the best way to put the cross on that guy.... just imagine for a moment yourself being that person.
  • Everything correct, but there's one thing I cannot understand yet: How USA Swimming ban is related to driving law offense? If he was professional driver and he was banned to do his job that would be clear. If a surgeon got drunk in the hospital and as a penalty lost his license - that's absolutely clear, he's putting at risk patients. I would understand if they canceled Michael's driving license, charged him to pay fine or even put him into prison in case if someone suffered because of the accident - that would be absolutely fair penalty aiming the problem. IMO the penalty should be related to the crime and it should bring some sort of correction to the situation. Do you really believe that banning someone from doing his job which has nothing in common with the crime is a good way to correct that person? I consider it's the best way to put the cross on that guy.... just imagine for a moment yourself being that person. Michael is paid to represent USAS and various companies. If they don't want to be represented by someone willing to drive drunk, that is commendable. Michael seems to be readily accepting his consequences - which is about all he can do at this point.