Phelps comeback confirmed

Former Member
Former Member
Phelps is planning on swimming at the mesa grand prix in 2 weeks: swimswam.com/.../ Speculation he is swimming 50 and 100s.
  • Looks like somone took the time to edit the speedo needle to 86 mph (you can see the remains of the original at 0 mph), without closing the door or editing the tach. The coolant was also cold lol
  • This actually made me laugh out loud: "Police report: Michael Phelps had 'mush mouth' during sobriety test" OK, when doesn't he? :)
  • I sure hope JeffC was misquoted here. Saying USA-S would have a tough time keeping him (MP) off the World Championship team just because he is too hard to replace? He is not too hard to replace at this point. Tom Shields can handle the fly. There are enough fast 100 freestylers to match up against the world, who never miss their turns. They are people ready to stand up. However, they can't get the opportunity for Worlds or Olympics because some swimmers are making it their full time jobs(What else can you do when you are a mush mouth, :))
  • Michael Phelps suspended 6 months by USA Swimming www.msn.com/.../ar-BB7TCYt USA Swimming has suspended Olympic champion swimmer Michael Phelps for six months for violating the organization's code of conduct. The announcement Monday comes nearly a week after Phelps was arrested for driving under the influence, and a day after he said he would enter a six-week treatment program. Phelps will be suspended from USA Swimming-sanctioned competition for six months, not eligible to compete again until April 6, 2015. He will also forfeit his funding from USA Swimming for six months, and he will withdraw from the 2015 world championship team. He will not represent the U.S. next August in Kazan, Russia -- a major tune-up meet for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
  • Seriously, Phelps needs to go to rehab now.
  • Hello, everyone. With regards to my appearance on CBS This Morning, I was not misquoted. Perhaps my point was not clearly made, but I intended to point out that USA Swimming's actions against Michael Phelps would be setting a precedent. In at least the past 20 years, no one has been kicked off an international team for such an offense. So, I not only thought removing Phelps from the world team would take out one of the top swimmers in the world and hurt medal chances, but it would send a very strong statement. I wasn't sure USA Swimming was prepared to set that precedent, but it appears they were.
  • What are the chances Phelps swims a USMS meet while he's suspended from USA Swimming? I would guess slim, but greater than zero.
  • What are the chances Phelps swims a USMS meet while he's suspended from USA Swimming? I would guess slim, but greater than zero. Dead zero. (see Armstrong, Lance)
  • Dead zero. (see Armstrong, Lance) Totally different scenario as far as I'm concerned.
  • Actually, I've never gotten behind the wheel with a "buzz", but then two glasses of wine puts me under the table. I don't drink when I have to drive. And there's a huge difference between going fast and being reckless. Drinking impairs your judgment. It just seems the height of stupidity when you have endorsements that come with being an elite athlete to put that at risk so you can drink. I can't even get hired at Wegman's so maybe I'm not one to talk. That being said, it's not like he was doing 10 mph over the speed limit. He was doing almost 40. In a tunnel. And weaving in and out of traffic. And that certainly does put innocent lives at risk, which IMHO is inexcusable. I'm all for tough DUI laws. As a reporter, I covered too many accidents that were caused by some drunk idiot behind the wheel. Phelps has done it before. He didn't learn his lesson then. Does he need help? I don't know, getting drunk and speeding doesn't necessarily make you an alcoholic. It just could be a case of arrogance. There are just some athletes who think they're invincible and maybe he's one of them. I have no opinion on whether he should be banned from USAS, but it's not uncommon for an organization whose members stand to earn big money to impose standards of behavior. It's not fair in many cases, but you know that going in.