Phelps comeback confirmed

Former Member
Former Member
Phelps is planning on swimming at the mesa grand prix in 2 weeks: swimswam.com/.../ Speculation he is swimming 50 and 100s.
  • Agreed. No swimming is not related to the thing that he did wrong. If NBA & NFL did this we would all be watching golf!!
  • Michael is paid to represent USAS and various companies. If they don't want to be represented by someone willing to drive drunk, that is commendable. Michael seems to be readily accepting his consequences - which is about all he can do at this point. Yes, I think that's the crux of it. It would seem pretty lame for USMS to "ban" Phelps. I'm sure there are plenty of USMS members with DUIs. Have any of them been denied membership based on that? USMS isn't giving any swimmers stipends to represent the organization (as far as I know!). If NBA & NFL did this Ever heard of Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice, among others?
  • If NBA & NFL did this we would all be watching golf!! Those golfers! A bunch of dopers like you've never seen. :) Has this been moved to the NSR forum? Maybe I've just pushed it over the line in that direction...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    It would put USMS in the position of undermining the sanction issued by USAS. What, we support drunk driving? Obviously, I don't speak for USMS, but I'd give that about a negative 12,000% chance of happening. MP can cool his jets for six months, and for the sake of simple human decency, as well as of the entire sport, we can thank our lucky stars there wasn't someone else coming the other way in that tunnel. Judd, The difference between Phelps and Armstrong suspension involves group doing the suspension. WADA suspended Armstrong for performance enhancing drugs. All governing bodies that follow wada rules are required to go along with the suspensions handed out. FINA follows wada recommendations, so USMS had to as well. Phelps was suspended for a DUI. He wasn't suspended by WADA for drugs. USMS could allow him to compete since the organization isn't governed by USA swimming. I doubt he would enter a usms meet though.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Phelps did put the lives of innocent people at risk, and he knew he did, and it wasn't the first time so I don't think it's a fair comparison. A lot of elite athletes have huge egos. It's a component of their personality that enables them to hit the elite ranks. Like politicians. Driving drunk is in a separate category altogether. No excuse. How many people on this forum have gotten behind the wheel of a car with a buzz or more than a buzz? How many people on this forum have driven faster than the posted speed limit? If a person answer's "yes" to either or both questions, they have no right to judge Phelps. If you drive with a buzz, even without speeding, you put lives at risk. If you drive over the posted speed limit, you put lives at risk. Unless you are perfect, no one really has the right to judge him. If you think he has a huge ego, that is to blame on the fans for helping to bolster that ego. Let's all get off our high horses and just hope he is getting help. We can all use this as a reminder to be more careful in everything we do.
  • So... after rehab and forced time out, it's back to Mesa and another comeback! This time in 2015!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    So... after rehab and forced time out, it's back to Mesa and another comeback! This time in 2015! i hate that you resurrected this thread. i read the whole thing before i realized it was created back in 2014 >.<