One hour postal swim

Ok, who is doing the one hour postal swim this year? Goals, strategies? www.clubassistant.com/.../meet_information.cfm
  • :applaud: Great job, Philo! Thanks, Elaine!
  • Great job, TG and Philo!! I just wanted to finish and had a mostly relaxing swim. I had only had 4 workouts since December 1, bad cold, end of semester, cataract surgery, beginning of semester. I did about what I figured I could do, about 10% less distance than last year. Now it's time to crank up the program, aiming for my first ever 10K this summer!
  • I was able to splash today, and ended up with 4565 yds, an improvement over last years 4275. I wore my square leg suit (no drag suit), and stopped twice for a 30 second water/accelerade break. Swam mostly freestyle but 400 was done as backstroke. I like the One Hour Swim, but think that having some music would make it go by more pleasantly :)
  • I was able to splash today, and ended up with 4565 yds, an improvement over last years 4275. Wow, almost a 7% improvement from last year. That's great!
  • Thanks, Kirk! I'm still tinkering with the distance capacity.
  • Wednesday main set (4320 IM) One Hour Postal swim done as one hour IM - 15 minutes per stroke Butterfly - 1050 Backstroke - 1100 Breastroke - 950 Freestyle - 1220 In butterfly, I did DPS fly except I mixed in regular 25 flys at the following points: 75, 175, 275, 475, 575, 675, 775, 875, 975, 1025. Managing to do 1100 backstroke in 15 minutes when the first 200 was basically recovery swimming makes me think that last year's 4250 backstroke in one hour wasn't really a very good swim for me. I had set 4000 as my goal because I figured I would do well under 1000 breastroke and would need the other strokes to pull me up to 4000. So totaling 950 there was nice. 80 warmdown and out The other swimmers in the pool had been making guesses about WTF I was doing. The closest guess was 1600 IM. Fantastic job! I suggest that next year you consider doing it as a series of 400 or 200 or even 100 IMs to see if more regularly rotating your crops of pain will lead to a more bounteous harvest of IM yards! I think the 400 approach would probably be optimum, or maybe the 200. You'd get dizzy doing 45 x 100 IMs (give or take) on 1:20, too much abrupt change in orientation for your semi circular canals to get used to.
  • I was able to splash today, and ended up with 4565 yds, an improvement over last years 4275. I wore my square leg suit (no drag suit), and stopped twice for a 30 second water/accelerade break. Swam mostly freestyle but 400 was done as backstroke. I like the One Hour Swim, but think that having some music would make it go by more pleasantly :) Awesome, rx! :applaud: I have never done the postal swim, but I'm guessing your total yardage was 1,000+ over what I would have done. :blush:
  • Fantastic job! I suggest that next year you consider doing it as a series of 400 or 200 or even 100 IMs to see if more regularly rotating your crops of pain will lead to a more bounteous harvest of IM yards! I think the 400 approach would probably be optimum, or maybe the 200. You'd get dizzy doing 45 x 100 IMs (give or take) on 1:20, too much abrupt change in orientation for your semi circular canals to get used to. Thanks Jim! I haven't given too much thought to next year's one hour swim yet. I've completed 30 x 100 IM on 1:25 three times (note: that set is known as THE QBRAIN MEMORIAL) and though in my most recent effort I did 1:20's for most of the repeats, I suppose in a continuous swim it would work. Then I wouldn't have the "one or two seconds of so-called rest is worse than just doing a flip turn" problem.
  • Personal Worst for me this year, 4545. Recovering from a herniated disk that had me bedridden for four weeks, so I have a reason. But don't like it very much. I was about to stop for some gatorade at about 3600, but then my friend who was doing it at the same time started swimming backward and I pulled back about 40 of the 80 yard lead he had on me in the space of a 200. So I didn't stop. I never caught him but pushing through with what I had was one little nugget of positive that I will take with me to the next race. Had some good swims on the squad I coach, so that was good as well.
  • Personal Worst for me this year, 4545. Recovering from a herniated disk that had me bedridden for four weeks, so I have a reason. But don't like it very much. I was about to stop for some gatorade at about 3600, but then my friend who was doing it at the same time started swimming backward and I pulled back about 40 of the 80 yard lead he had on me in the space of a 200. So I didn't stop. I never caught him but pushing through with what I had was one little nugget of positive that I will take with me to the next race. Had some good swims on the squad I coach, so that was good as well.That's a heck of a swim considering what you have been through! :applaud: You may not like it very much, but you should be proud of yourself for what you accomplished. Having been through a laminectomy/discectomy of L5S1, I know what a herniated disc is like. Give yourself some credit. :agree: