Swim happy

Former Member
Former Member
So we have a "swim rant" thread, but I wanted to post my "swim happy" moment today, probably brought on by being out of the water for over a week. Pool reopened after maintenance + clear, fresh perfect temp water + 6 lap lanes between 4 lap swimmers = 4200yd :bliss:
  • I love having a drop dead race at the end of a set - just kinda "surprise! I'm gonna beat you to the wall!" and then we hit the wall laughing about fun that was! Makes my day!:bliss:
  • Sunday was a rough swim for me... It had been a really long weekend of moving and I hadn't really had a good opportunity to eat a significant meal. So getting to practice and seeing (roughly) 4K on the board was pretty defeating. At the very end of practice we had 3x100 all out. I manged to break 1:30 on all of those in practice. I was very happy about that.
  • This morning, after a lousy bike ride to the gym fraught with rain, high wind, darkness, and debris in the bike lanes/shoulders, I walked into the lobby of my gym and saw a woman who I often swim with on her way out of the building. Our conversation went something like this: Her: "TG! I gotta warn you, the water's really cold in there!" Me: "That sounds good!" Her: "Well, ok, but you'll be the only one in there." Me: "Um... ok..." And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. I was able to swim fast without overheating. There was not a noodler in sight. I had my own lane for my whole workout. :bliss:After that it was back to :badday: for the bike ride to work.
  • And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. I was able to swim fast without overheating. There was not a noodler in sight. I had my own lane for my whole workout. :bliss:After that it was back to :badday: for the bike ride to work. I am green with envy! Cool water AND no noodlers? In my dreams! But, your a cool guy, That Guy, so I'm happy for you. :applaud: We had bad weather in our area (south of Atlanta), too, and I had to bail on my swim, due to horrible lightening. Our indoor pool has a metal roof and a lot of metal everywhere else, so I decided to get changed and hit the gym, instead...
  • ..... Her: "Well, ok, but you'll be the only one in there." Me: "Um... ok..." And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. ... Awesome that you got a cool, placid pool... but one question... Does your facility allow only one person in the pool area? We are not supposed to swim alone at our facility (although many do) and it seems odd that with all the litigation about lightening storms they would leave themselves so open to a drowning accident.
  • Awesome that you got a cool, placid pool... but one question... Does your facility allow only one person in the pool area? We are not supposed to swim alone at our facility (although many do) and it seems odd that with all the litigation about lightening storms they would leave themselves so open to a drowning accident. I've often wondered the same thing regarding the pool at my gym. On any given day, I am usually alone in the pool for some portion of my workout. The facility has a security camera, but I wonder whether anyone is even looking at it. As far as I know, since no lifeguard is on duty you're expected to "swim at your own risk". But, since this is the "Swim Happy" thread, I'm going to close on a happier note. I'm going to be swimming with a Masters club starting on November 1, so no more solo pool days for me. :bliss:
  • I've often wondered the same thing regarding the pool at my gym. On any given day, I am usually alone in the pool for some portion of my workout. The facility has a security camera, but I wonder whether anyone is even looking at it. As far as I know, since no lifeguard is on duty you're expected to "swim at your own risk". But, since this is the "Swim Happy" thread, I'm going to close on a happier note. I'm going to be swimming with a Masters club starting on November 1, so no more solo pool days for me. :bliss: When "Family Swim Time" is in effect, there is a lifeguard and kids are allowed in. The rest of the time is "swim at your own risk" with no lifeguard and no one under 18 allowed (except for scheduled swim lessons and stuff like that). I don't train with the Masters team or participate in the noodler classes, so I don't know what the expectations are (safety-wise) for people like the Masters swim coach and the noodler herder.
  • But, since this is the "Swim Happy" thread, I'm going to close on a happier note. I'm going to be swimming with a Masters club starting on November 1, so no more solo pool days for me. :bliss: Enjoy!!! :applaud: Again, I'm green with envy, because the closest Masters club is 50 minutes away- and they swim too late during the evenings. Ok, enough of being envious... My "Swim Happy" is getting to swim for two weeks in a postage stamp-sized pool, again! I would normally be :bitching: about that, but I get to "work" on another cruise, so I'll take it! Besides, it's my favorite ship and has a nice indoor pool (even if it is small...). So, between the ship's gym and doing a lot of drills, I'll be a happy camper. :D
  • Got to swim at lunch again today with my old group!! :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud: Woo hoo! It's amazing how slow I've gotten training on my own at 5:30 in the morning tho. . .