Continuous Easy(?) Swimming Sessions

Former Member
Former Member
As I peruse the workouts that some of you do, and as I prepare for my first ever 3000m swim (12 March), I had to wonder how many forumites do subject swims on a regular basis. I put a question mark beside the word "easy", because perhaps such swimming could be tempo/strong pace sometimes, vice recovery pace. (Maybe such swims are done but are not worthy to be recorded as "workouts"?) Thoughts?
  • When the weather and schedule allowed, I would try to do an open water swim, which are typically at constant pace intended for distance. That distance increased over the Summer, wrapping up with the competition, which was a 10K. But, once per week, I am hoping to get in 2-4,000 yards, depending on current (typically swim against to points, then return). And then I'll add a second, which get into the 5K range, working all of the way up to 10K. Hope this time around to maintain my ~15K weekly "workout" swims. Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but that's what I have.
  • But what about you sprinter/middle-distance types? Does 3km+ continuous (in a pool?) get done regularly? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :) You might see me swim 800 continuously, but if you do it's a warmup. And even then it's probably broken up into 300/200/300 or so. Other than warmup I can't remember the last time I did anything longer than a 200 straight. Sprint diva bad attitude aside, I do agree that there's a place for some conditioning/capacity training for events as short as the 100 (and my many deaths in the 100 fly are a testament to that) but I don't think a straight 3000 would be a part of that program. A 3k could certainly be a nice feel-good swim, and one could definitely make a workout out of it, but it wouldn't get someone like me closer to my goals as effectively as something a lot more targeted would. It does make sense to me that if you're preparing for a 3k, you should probably swim a 3k now and then. Good luck and have fun! edit: I looked it up. I swam a 400 LCM IM back in 2017 (for a split request, obviously, as I will never be prepared to swim a 400 LCM IM well). I really don't think I've done anything that long, in race or in practice, since then. Just for fun it looked like this: Leg Cumulative Subtractive 1 29.30 29.30 2 1:04.41 35.11 3 2:07.87 1:03.46 4 3:08.56 1:00.69 5 4:07.35 58.79 6 5:04.92 57.57 7 5:55.00 50.08 8 6:40.86 45.86
  • That's great, thanks. I imagine the Open Water 5k/10k types need to do such swims often. But what about you sprinter/middle-distance types? Does 3km+ continuous (in a pool?) get done regularly? Sorry for my ambiguity. I took up open water swimming only because I didn't have pool access. I enjoyed the social aspect of it, which was a large reason I'll be doing it again this year. But I am without question a typical pool swimmer. I'd say I'm most comforable training for the 100 fly and 500 free. But I do feel that the longer swims are beneficial. You HAVE to have a good efficient stroke. Really helps the 500. My mile time dropped 30 seconds over the span of doing the open water stuff, and the intervals I swim on the 500 have continued to drop.
  • But what about you sprinter/middle-distance types? Does 3km+ continuous (in a pool?) get done regularly?I always do my pool training focused on the 400 IM and 400 free, with occasional seasons when I focus on the 800 up to 1500. I would never do a long swim in a pool workout, and most of my sets are of distances from 50 to 200, with the occasional 400 thrown in. But, I've always trained primarily to race in a pool. With that said, I also race open water, with my preferred distance being a 4K to 5K. But, even with OW racing events planned, I'd be more likely, in a pool workout, to do 10 x 150 trying to hold a pace than a 1500 straight. Now, all of that was true until 2020 (and I've been swimming competitively since 1972). Last summer, when pools were closed and all I had access to was a lake, I did most of my swims as straight 2K to 4K affairs. I quite enjoyed those and it got me well prepared to do a solo 10K. This year, I'll do long swims again in the lake, but I still doubt I'll do long swims in the pool. I can't explain it, but I'll get bored by a 500 in a pool, but be constantly engaged doing a straight 5K in a lake.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    When the weather and schedule allowed, I would try to do an open water swim, which are typically at constant pace intended for distance. That distance increased over the Summer, wrapping up with the competition, which was a 10K. But, once per week, I am hoping to get in 2-4,000 yards, depending on current (typically swim against to points, then return). And then I'll add a second, which get into the 5K range, working all of the way up to 10K. Hope this time around to maintain my ~15K weekly "workout" swims. Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but that's what I have. That's great, thanks. I imagine the Open Water 5k/10k types need to do such swims often. But what about you sprinter/middle-distance types? Does 3km+ continuous (in a pool?) get done regularly?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    :) Fascinating. I was thinking "recovery swim for 45min-1hr" when I typed 3km. Maybe 30min easy/recovery swims? 1500m? Anyone? The books I delve into go into length (pun intended) about doing such swimming, often. But maybe this goes the way of the long cooldown? :)
  • :) Fascinating. I was thinking "recovery swim for 45min-1hr" when I typed 3km. Maybe 30min easy/recovery swims? 1500m? Anyone? The books I delve into go into length (pun intended) about doing such swimming, often. But maybe this goes the way of the long cooldown? :) I often tell myself (and my wife) that I'll do an "easy recovery swim" once a week, but it never happens. I've heard of the benefits of these. But even before COVID shortening workouts, the (time) costs associated with getting to the pool make it really hard to not work hard once I get there. So a recovery day for me usually means I'll go for a nice 30-minute walk around the neighborhood. Even if I were to do a recovery swim I don't think I'd go for continuous yards. It would probably end up being a lot of drill work at a really easy pace, on intervals that give plenty of rest.
  • I often tell myself (and my wife) that I'll do an "easy recovery swim" once a week, but it never happens. I've heard of the benefits of these. But even before COVID shortening workouts, the (time) costs associated with getting to the pool make it really hard to not work hard once I get there. So a recovery day for me usually means I'll go for a nice 30-minute walk around the neighborhood. Even if I were to do a recovery swim I don't think I'd go for continuous yards. It would probably end up being a lot of drill work at a really easy pace, on intervals that give plenty of rest. I'll do a Davis Mile* or a standard Hackett set+ sometimes. * 11 laps, rest 10 seconds, 10 laps, rest 10 seconds, 9 laps, rest 10 seconds...........1 lap. Total 66 laps with 100 seconds of rest. + 4*(50*(3@distance pace, 1@faster) - on interval giving 5-10 seconds rest) 4*(50*2 and 1, add 5 seconds to interval) 4*(50*1 and 1, add another 5) 4*50 at faster pace with another 5 seconds Those aren't really "easy" sets, but they are more distance oriented. The Hackett is often written as mile and 500 pace, but I have been trying to push it to do it at 500 and 200 pace. Certainly not sprinting. Davis Mile is 1650 yards, Hackett set is 2000. I do a 1000 yard warm up before each one, and sometimes a 400 yard UDK set, as well. So total distance is still on the order of 3000 yards, but main set is distance focused.
  • edit: I looked it up. I swam a 400 LCM IM back in 2017 (for a split request, obviously, as I will never be prepared to swim a 400 LCM IM well). I really don't think I've done anything that long, in race or in practice, since then. Just for fun it looked like this: Leg Cumulative Subtractive 1 29.30 29.30 2 1:04.41 35.11 3 2:07.87 1:03.46 4 3:08.56 1:00.69 5 4:07.35 58.79 6 5:04.92 57.57 7 5:55.00 50.08 8 6:40.86 45.86 that looks incredibly painful. Nice 100 LCM fly through. The longest time I've raced was in the 200SCM fr. Leg Cumulative Subtractive 1 28.59 28.59 2 1:23.32 54.73 3 2:22.22 58.90 4 3:16.41 54.19 I believe I raced that 50 split request without breathing. On the 3rd 50 I realized I may require the lane line (dq) in case of drowning. Was so treacherous, but I made it legally to the finish line. The only time I swim more than 500 nonstop is when on vacation in areas with tropical oceans, wearing fins, swimming over beautiful reefs. I could spend several hours at a time.
  • Nah it wasn't that bad. Nice and easy after the first 100 :) But hey that's a good point - I'm sure I've done a few hundred straight here and there snorkeling. That definitely counts.