The Butterfly Lane

Butterfly, beautiful to watch, difficult to train. We SDK off every wall. We're most likely to smack hands with each other and those beside us. Fly's fun to sprint but no fun when the piano comes down What did you do in practice today? the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
  • my favorite sets are very similar it's what we call "add-on" fly. 12x100 @ 1:30 1-75fr/25fly 2-50fr/50fly 3-25fr/75fly 4-100fly (3x) descend 1-4 or 8x200 @ 2:45 1-150fr/50fly 2-100fr/100fly 3-50fr/150fly 4-200fly (x2) descend 1-4 sometimes on the 8x200, we will do 12 instead, and stick in 4x200 free @2:20 in between the 2 fly rounds for some extra aerobic swimming
  • Nice little fly set today: 8 x 75 @ 1:30 Evens - fly/free/fly, Odds - free/fly/free Good effort on 1st & last length, middle ez.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    My God. Bllllloody fast, even SCY. Congrats.
  • Yesterday I did a short workout so I could be on time for my son's baseball game. Total workout was only 1600 yards, but 675 of that was full-stroke fly. Main set, all fly, focus on EVF throughout: 4 x 75 on 1:45 @ 200 pace. I think I went 50,51,50,51 4 x 50 on 1:15 25 pace, 25 sprint w/ big kick. 32,31,31,31? 4 x 25 on 0:45 sprint. 14's and 15's. This is a good fly set because it hits different pace levels, it doesn't break me down too much, and of course it totals 600 fly. If I'm feeling good after the 4th 75, I can always just keep doing 75's instead of the shorter distances. That didn't happen yesterday though. I log my swim workouts with 3 key numbers: total swim yards, total fly yards, and time of the workout. The fly numbers are more important to me than the others, by far.
  • I'm working on developing a fast, medium, and slow speed in fly. For slow fly, I don't kick much. My goal is to swim a 200 fly where the piano doesn't fall on the 3rd 50. So yesterday, working on pacing a 200 IM and saving the legs for the second half of the race, I did 6 x 200 IM SCM and went out in :40, :41, :42, :41, :41, :41. Unbelievable how slow and easy a :41 can feel....
  • The fun part about the Butterfly Lane is other people's reactions. I had hecklers one time. It was awesome. No really, it was! Here's what happened: a few years ago, I went to my gym at around 8:30 pm, which is a very unusual workout time for me. I didn't recognize any of the people in the pool. In one lane, there were three women circle-swimming a workout together. By the time I finished my warmup, they had finished their workout and adjourned to the warmer therapy pool to shoot the breeze. My main set that night was 20x25 fly on :30. I did the first 25 in 15 seconds and heard cat-calling from the therapy pool: "oooo-OOOO-oooo!!! He did a 25 flyyyy-YYYY-yyyy!!!" I thought, "oh...kay" and continued my set. After the 2nd 25 (another 15), I could see in my peripheral vision that they were still laughing at me. After the 6th, they weren't smiling anymore. After the 12th, I heard one of them ask the others dejectedly, "wanna go in the hot tub?" I did 15's for all 20 25's... I guess they weren't expecting that. :D
  • The fun part about the Butterfly Lane is other people's reactions. I had hecklers one time. It was awesome. No really, it was! Here's what happened: a few years ago, I went to my gym at around 8:30 pm, which is a very unusual workout time for me. I didn't recognize any of the people in the pool. In one lane, there were three women circle-swimming a workout together. By the time I finished my warmup, they had finished their workout and adjourned to the warmer therapy pool to shoot the breeze. My main set that night was 20x25 fly on :30. I did the first 25 in 15 seconds and heard cat-calling from the therapy pool: "oooo-OOOO-oooo!!! He did a 25 flyyyy-YYYY-yyyy!!!" I thought, "oh...kay" and continued my set. After the 2nd 25 (another 15), I could see in my peripheral vision that they were still laughing at me. After the 6th, they weren't smiling anymore. After the 12th, I heard one of them ask the others dejectedly, "wanna go in the hot tub?" I did 15's for all 20 25's... I guess they weren't expecting that. :D That is funny. I guess they thought you were showing off for them....
  • That is funny. I guess they thought you were showing off for them.... I guess it slowly dawned on them that "Behold, as I do the exact same thing over and over again, without ever looking in your direction!" is not a typical showoff strategy.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Yesterday I did 2x 12x50 butterfly on 1:05 - First block was done with a lot of surface kicking - Second block full stroke
  • Here is some fly sets that I did in the last 6 months, all fly: 2 x 250s on 3:30 this set was 4x, odds free, evens stroke but I did the last round all fly 200 3:00 175 2:40 150 2:15 125 1:55 100 1:30 75 1:10 50 :45 25 :25