Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I'm talking about marathon swimming (in particular, solo marathon swimming). in your original post, that qualification would have gone a long way
  • Former Member
    I agree that it's more difficult, takes more preparation, more willingness to be uncomfortable... No one is taking that away from you. I don't think it takes anymore preparation. I think swimming in rough water does, unless you have years of experience to fall back on. (And swimming in a pool with noodlers doesn't count). Definitely more uncomfortable, but that is usually only at the beginning and of course riding out the shivers after you are done. Chaos convinced me to do the Bridge to Bridge in SF at 57° when my coldest experience was at 60°. He then convinced me to jump in 52° water to swim the GG Bridge to Aquatic Park. Frankly there is little difference in those swims. All I remember is the shock from the jump in (preferably not from a platform that sends you 6 feet under water) and swimming like hell.
  • Former Member
    I don't think it takes anymore preparation. I think swimming in rough water does, unless you have years of experience to fall back on. (And swimming in a pool with noodlers doesn't count). Definitely more uncomfortable, but that is usually only at the beginning and of course riding out the shivers after you are done. Chaos convinced me to do the Bridge to Bridge in SF at 57° when my coldest experience was at 60°. He then convinced me to jump in 52° water to swim the GG Bridge to Aquatic Park. Frankly there is little difference in those swims. All I remember is the shock from the jump in (preferably not from a platform that sends you 6 feet under water) and swimming like hell. Yeah, I was referring to mental preparation, really, but also experience. Water could be calm, could be rough, but swimming in the ocean you have to be prepared to handle whatever conditions present themselves at the start of or in the middle of a swim. Every time I've jumped into the bay in a wetsuit I've thought to myself I could do this without.... but that requires actually jumping in without in the first place. Easy to say when you have one on
  • Former Member
    fwiw, feeding can also be couched as a crutch. it has been demonstrated to be unnecessary even in long (21 mile) swims: "... did not touch food or drink throughout the long swim, but had a light breakfast of canteloupe, cereal, toast and coffee one hour before starting." "... ruddy of cheek, bright of eye and full of life ... gave not the least sign of the great ordeal she had gone through. She would not even rest on the trip up the bay and spent most of the time chatting and enjoying another meal of cold food." it is not even necessary in order break records: "... broken the record for the swim ... by seven minutes and 30 seconds ... in far harsher conditions" sources: , : www.nycswim.org/.../ArticleTemplate.aspx : p137 in www.amazon.com/.../0786440287 I'm fairly certain if Trudy Ederle (the subject of geog's articles) were alive today, she'd tell us her decision to not eat was a personal preference, and she certainly wouldn't expect future competitors in the swim-later-to-be-known-as the "Ederle Swim" to also refrain from eating. it seems implausible to me that Trudy did not at least drink some water. so i only half believe that newspaper report. maybe NYCswims has additional historical accounts such a swim log, debriefings or diary pages from her support crew. on the other hand, Lisa Bier did fanatical research for her book. on the otherhand, Bier may have written book out of sociological interest, plus she simply may not have had been endurance athlete herself, or had enough exposure to our crowd for the no-food statement to have raised a red flag. regardless, if one reads accounts of survival such as Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, it is clear that people are capable of far more than what seems reasonable. so maybe Trudy did swim it without food/liquids. Anyway ... I disagree with you about your Trudy-today scenario. I think she would say her food plan was based on her experience and knowledge, plus she didn't want to risk impressing with vomit the 7 reporters on the support boat. This was a time in history when women were trying to overcome several biases, including the myth that the female physique did not have sufficient constitution for participation in sports without harm to themselves. If she had today's knowledge, such as that being shared on MarathonSwimmers.org, I think she wholeheartedly would have fed. ok, so maybe you summed all that up more elegantly in the phrase "personal preferences".
  • Former Member
    I get that OW swimmers ... more willingness to be uncomfortable cold water is not uncomfortable.
  • Former Member
    cold water is not uncomfortable. Well, that's a personal thing I guess. I may not have swum in water colder than 55, but I've dived in 45 degree water. Diving in 80 degree water is more comfortable to me. Floating in 80 degree water is more comfortable than floating in 55 degree water to me.
  • Former Member
    it seems implausible to me that Trudy did not at least drink some water. so i only half believe that newspaper report. maybe NYCswims has additional historical accounts such a swim log, debriefings or diary pages from her support crew. I think Mr NYC Swim has some incredible video footage of Gertie... and indeed some of it contradicts what was reported.
  • Former Member
    cold water is not uncomfortable. You are a walrus, goo goo a'gjoo
  • Former Member
    I get that OW swimmers ... more willingness to be uncomfortable cold water is not uncomfortable. Well, that's a personal thing I guess. i agree. i should should have qualified my statement. regardless, it breaks your point, or at least that aspect of your point. cheers!
  • Former Member
    He then convinced me to jump in 52° water to swim the GG Bridge to Aquatic Park. One of my favorite swims EVER! It was truly glorious... (breakfast at Denny's, not so much)