Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    it seems implausible to me that Trudy did not at least drink some water. so i only half believe that newspaper report. maybe NYCswims has additional historical accounts such a swim log, debriefings or diary pages from her support crew. on the other hand, Lisa Bier did fanatical research for her book. on the otherhand, Bier may have written book out of sociological interest, plus she simply may not have had been endurance athlete herself, or had enough exposure to our crowd for the no-food statement to have raised a red flag. regardless, if one reads accounts of survival such as Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, it is clear that people are capable of far more than what seems reasonable. so maybe Trudy did swim it without food/liquids. I think Mr NYC Swim has some incredible video footage of Gertie... and indeed some of it contradicts what was reported. thanks. online? where?
  • Former Member
    (breakfast at Denny's, not so much) I was colder walking around in the rain than I was on the swim.
  • Former Member
    cold water is not uncomfortable. You are a walrus, goo goo a'gjoo lol. you are a triathlete at heart, gear gear mo'gear "Lennon composed the song by combining three songs he had been working on. When he learned that a teacher at his old primary school was having his students analyse Beatles' lyrics, he added a verse of nonsense words. The walrus is a reference to the walrus in Lewis Carroll's poem The Walrus and the Carpenter (from the book Through the Looking-Glass). Lennon expressed dismay upon belatedly realising that the walrus was a villain in the poem." btw, from what I understand you do 99% of your training in a pool. to me thats nutso, but to me that makes your cool water swims impressive because i do know the benefits of cold water training. hats off to you, sincerely! best wishes on your swims/fundraisng.
  • Former Member
    thanks. online? where? Three Rivers, The Brooklyn Bridge and Lady Liberty (US Version) on Vimeo There are only a few short clips of Ederle in this vid.... but I'm sure there must be more.
  • Former Member
    Three Rivers, The Brooklyn Bridge and Lady Liberty (US Version) on Vimeo There are only a few short clips of Ederle in this vid.... but I'm sure there must be more. thanks, historical footage starts about 9 min into it, runs for ~3 min. excellent production quality, but if you find the bacon, please post!
  • Former Member
    btw, from what I understand you do 99% of your training in a pool. to me thats nutso, but to me that makes your cool water swims impressive because i do know the benefits of cold water training. Thanks. When I lived in Santa Barbara for nearly 20 years it was ocean swimming and surfing, with a little training in Los Banos and the Carpinteria pool. I even lived right on Rincon Point for a year, but had to move when I gort married. :-( At least the moving part was sad.
  • Former Member
    In most tri’s shoes are not required for the run. However shoes (like wetsuits) do provide safety and competitive advantage to those who wear them. And with the exception of the Barefoot Running Society, I doubt there are many folks who grouse about them shoed runners. +1 @ Barebutt Swimming Society shoes are more analogous to goggles than to wetsuits since both shoes and goggles 1) are worn to a prevent physical harm that cannot be mitigated by training and 2) are worn even though they carry competitive disadvantages, such as time lost during T1 and T2 to put on shoes, and a loss (?) of stream line in the case of goggles. goggles also correct vision. the weak link might be the non-textile swim cap, which is selected and donned for heat retention and speed. there are other inconsistencies. some mechanical alterations are ok, such as shaving, while others are not, such as skin grafts to web toes or fingers or bone lengthening or shortening. maybe the division between amateur and professional athletes is a good analogy. personally, i do not have much invested in the putative issue, it's just fun to mull over controversies.
  • Former Member
    I am sure in OW swimmers' eyes that makes us triathletes weaker, wimpier, not willing to work hard enough, blah blah blah. Whatever. And the analogy to motorized bikes at an IM is a non sequitur. Motors are illegal. Wetsuits aren't (at those races). I wouldn't think that's a difficult concept to grasp. Blah blah is correct. I'm sure wetsuits are very useful and I wore one myself in an IM rather than let inferior swimmers beat me. All I'm saying is that they allow swimmers to "swim" in conditions they are not trained for. A shortcut, much like putting a motor on a bike. Not difficult to comprehend.
  • Former Member
    On the other hand I completely support events that choose to maintain elite standards. As an american, I am sick and tired of the "elites" telling me what I can and cannot do.
  • Former Member
    Blah blah is correct. I'm sure wetsuits are very useful and I wore one myself in an IM rather than let inferior swimmers beat me. All I'm saying is that they allow swimmers to "swim" in conditions they are not trained for. A shortcut, much like putting a motor on a bike. Not difficult to comprehend. LOL. I rest my case. Use the tools available to you. Even if they are anathema