Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    fwiw, feeding can also be couched as a crutch. it has been demonstrated to be unnecessary even in long (21 mile) swims: "... did not touch food or drink throughout the long swim, but had a light breakfast of canteloupe, cereal, toast and coffee one hour before starting." "... ruddy of cheek, bright of eye and full of life ... gave not the least sign of the great ordeal she had gone through. She would not even rest on the trip up the bay and spent most of the time chatting and enjoying another meal of cold food." it is not even necessary in order break records: "... broken the record for the swim ... by seven minutes and 30 seconds ... in far harsher conditions" sources: , : www.nycswim.org/.../ArticleTemplate.aspx : p137 in www.amazon.com/.../0786440287 I'm fairly certain if Trudy Ederle (the subject of geog's articles) were alive today, she'd tell us her decision to not eat was a personal preference, and she certainly wouldn't expect future competitors in the swim-later-to-be-known-as the "Ederle Swim" to also refrain from eating. it seems implausible to me that Trudy did not at least drink some water. so i only half believe that newspaper report. maybe NYCswims has additional historical accounts such a swim log, debriefings or diary pages from her support crew. on the other hand, Lisa Bier did fanatical research for her book. on the otherhand, Bier may have written book out of sociological interest, plus she simply may not have had been endurance athlete herself, or had enough exposure to our crowd for the no-food statement to have raised a red flag. regardless, if one reads accounts of survival such as Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, it is clear that people are capable of far more than what seems reasonable. so maybe Trudy did swim it without food/liquids. Anyway ... I disagree with you about your Trudy-today scenario. I think she would say her food plan was based on her experience and knowledge, plus she didn't want to risk impressing with vomit the 7 reporters on the support boat. This was a time in history when women were trying to overcome several biases, including the myth that the female physique did not have sufficient constitution for participation in sports without harm to themselves. If she had today's knowledge, such as that being shared on MarathonSwimmers.org, I think she wholeheartedly would have fed. ok, so maybe you summed all that up more elegantly in the phrase "personal preferences".
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    fwiw, feeding can also be couched as a crutch. it has been demonstrated to be unnecessary even in long (21 mile) swims: "... did not touch food or drink throughout the long swim, but had a light breakfast of canteloupe, cereal, toast and coffee one hour before starting." "... ruddy of cheek, bright of eye and full of life ... gave not the least sign of the great ordeal she had gone through. She would not even rest on the trip up the bay and spent most of the time chatting and enjoying another meal of cold food." it is not even necessary in order break records: "... broken the record for the swim ... by seven minutes and 30 seconds ... in far harsher conditions" sources: , : www.nycswim.org/.../ArticleTemplate.aspx : p137 in www.amazon.com/.../0786440287 I'm fairly certain if Trudy Ederle (the subject of geog's articles) were alive today, she'd tell us her decision to not eat was a personal preference, and she certainly wouldn't expect future competitors in the swim-later-to-be-known-as the "Ederle Swim" to also refrain from eating. it seems implausible to me that Trudy did not at least drink some water. so i only half believe that newspaper report. maybe NYCswims has additional historical accounts such a swim log, debriefings or diary pages from her support crew. on the other hand, Lisa Bier did fanatical research for her book. on the otherhand, Bier may have written book out of sociological interest, plus she simply may not have had been endurance athlete herself, or had enough exposure to our crowd for the no-food statement to have raised a red flag. regardless, if one reads accounts of survival such as Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, it is clear that people are capable of far more than what seems reasonable. so maybe Trudy did swim it without food/liquids. Anyway ... I disagree with you about your Trudy-today scenario. I think she would say her food plan was based on her experience and knowledge, plus she didn't want to risk impressing with vomit the 7 reporters on the support boat. This was a time in history when women were trying to overcome several biases, including the myth that the female physique did not have sufficient constitution for participation in sports without harm to themselves. If she had today's knowledge, such as that being shared on MarathonSwimmers.org, I think she wholeheartedly would have fed. ok, so maybe you summed all that up more elegantly in the phrase "personal preferences".
Children
No Data