Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I take geog's point in bumping the old threads to mean: It has happened before, and it will happen again. So it has, and so it will. I'm sure it's bad for profits and media spectacle, but as long as: - there are still OWS events (excluding tris) that don't separate wetsuits & skins (and btw ChrisM, in my experience, outside of USMS events this is still the norm); - the desire to maintain this distinction is mischaracterized as elitist; - people who swim the English Channel in wetsuits are eligible for the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame (no joke)... ... I will continue to fight the good fight. ChrisM, I'm sorry for being short with you earlier. If you're interested in learning more about marathon swimming, I invite you to check out marathonswimmers.org. As long as you don't start off with the phrase "holier than thou," like you did here, I think you'll actually find it quite a friendly group. Likewise, I'll refrain from trolling Slowtwitch or BeginnerTri with all of my antiquated notions. Well, I don't think I am a troll, as I was just trying ti understand the mindset, but you're right, holier than thou was the wrong choice of words. There are a few of us that straddle the OW and tri worlds and understand and respect the rules/traditions/unwritten rules of each. I wouldn't think of advocating wetsuits for solo marathon swimming, but to be honest that wasn't what I was talking wbout when referring to OW swims. Wsa talking more about the recreational ocean 2 mile pier to piers etc.
  • Former Member
    I take geog's point in bumping the old threads to mean: It has happened before, and it will happen again. So it has, and so it will. i came across those threads by chance when looking to see how this thread stood in terms of its number of posts (to sort the OWS forum by post-count, click on the header of the 'replies' column). i bumped them with half a thought that posters in this thread would be interested in the others. what does the volume of those threads indicate? especially in light that this is an Open Water Swimming Forum, albeit on a pool-swimmers website? i think the answer is that the world wide surge of interest is not in open water swimming (unqualified usage), but in wetsuit swimming ("open water" justifiably left implicit, permanently , unless there is a wetsuit pool swimming culture that i'm unaware of). or maybe it indicates something else. there is: The Righteous Mind: why good people are divided by politics and religion 2012, by Jonathan Haidt.
  • Former Member
    I think it is time to weed out the lightweights. For most of my life OW swimming has been ocean swimming. But then I moved to Oregon and people appear to think that lake swimming is the same sport. Outside the great lakes, I think it is time that we ignore all results from lake swims. Heck I have swum in pools with rougher water than some of the lake swims I've been in.
  • Former Member
    One of my favorite swims EVER! It was truly glorious... (breakfast at Denny's, not so much) I'm thinking of swimming the GG to Bay Bridge in June as a birthday present to me from me. Has anyone done it? I'm dying to go back there, had the best time ever! even totally cheating on that swim.....
  • Former Member
    I'm thinking of swimming the GG to Bay Bridge in June as a birthday present to me from me. Has anyone done it? I'm dying to go back there, had the best time ever! even totally cheating on that swim..... I Love that swim. One of the bests in the country. You'll never swim anything more exciting. A number of people run a swim. Swim Art (disclosure owned by Leslie Thomas, the head of my channel crew), Bob Roper, Water World, Gary Emich, . . . I went with Bob Roper. I signed p last year to do it again with WaterWorld but had to leave SF and return home for a family matter. My choice had to do with my schedule.
  • Former Member
    The one I've been looking at is Waterworld. Looks like there's some cheap(ish) flights for that date. I can't stand the feeling of anything touching my neck while I swim, so if I decide to wear a wetsuit it will be one of my own designs: forums.usms.org/blog.php
  • First off, I defer to chaos on all matters ow as he is one of the experts in the field. He's also a nice guy who brings me beer and gifts, and I'm easily swayed by swag. I like my wetsuit, like it a lot. I can wear it for about 6-8 weeks annually early in the Spring. It allows me to swim farther, probably because it makes swimming easier. When my goal at first is to go a few hours it helps to have the suit on. Then, when the water turns to stew temperature I dump the thing.
  • Please forgive my revival of this old thread. If I wear a fast skin, will I be warmer in the water? I’m a little nervous (obviously) about hypothermia, but not sure I want that tight old thing ON for 3-1/2 hours. I’m 5’7” and ~120lbs, and cold natured anyway.
  • Where will you be swimming? Or better yet, what is the expected water temp?
  • Sarasota Bay (around Lido Key) this weekend, and it’s been cooler than usual, so water temp of 72 for 7 miles (12K).