Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I don't think it takes anymore preparation. I think swimming in rough water does, unless you have years of experience to fall back on. (And swimming in a pool with noodlers doesn't count). Definitely more uncomfortable, but that is usually only at the beginning and of course riding out the shivers after you are done. Chaos convinced me to do the Bridge to Bridge in SF at 57° when my coldest experience was at 60°. He then convinced me to jump in 52° water to swim the GG Bridge to Aquatic Park. Frankly there is little difference in those swims. All I remember is the shock from the jump in (preferably not from a platform that sends you 6 feet under water) and swimming like hell. Yeah, I was referring to mental preparation, really, but also experience. Water could be calm, could be rough, but swimming in the ocean you have to be prepared to handle whatever conditions present themselves at the start of or in the middle of a swim. Every time I've jumped into the bay in a wetsuit I've thought to myself I could do this without.... but that requires actually jumping in without in the first place. Easy to say when you have one on
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I don't think it takes anymore preparation. I think swimming in rough water does, unless you have years of experience to fall back on. (And swimming in a pool with noodlers doesn't count). Definitely more uncomfortable, but that is usually only at the beginning and of course riding out the shivers after you are done. Chaos convinced me to do the Bridge to Bridge in SF at 57° when my coldest experience was at 60°. He then convinced me to jump in 52° water to swim the GG Bridge to Aquatic Park. Frankly there is little difference in those swims. All I remember is the shock from the jump in (preferably not from a platform that sends you 6 feet under water) and swimming like hell. Yeah, I was referring to mental preparation, really, but also experience. Water could be calm, could be rough, but swimming in the ocean you have to be prepared to handle whatever conditions present themselves at the start of or in the middle of a swim. Every time I've jumped into the bay in a wetsuit I've thought to myself I could do this without.... but that requires actually jumping in without in the first place. Easy to say when you have one on
Children
No Data