Sachuest Beach Open Water Swims

Good news! We've had the best ever start to our season. Bill R got in early in May on a good weekend day. Last week we swam Tuesday-Friday around 430 each day with Friday having 8 participants. Today and tomorrow we will have 4PM swims. Newport, RI visitors, if you want an early season ocean swim second beach is the place. I've already had a 50+ minute swim without wetsuit. (and Ellen A was similarly attired.) Water temps have been variable, 58-66F. Doable. If you want to join in, we have a facebook page, Sachuest Ocean Swimmers, and you can email me. mikegarr@usms.org. Swim Fast Seek Peace! Mike G
  • Sorry, Jim, Somehow my browser gets confused whenever I try to click on a link to the old thread. Most recently it tells me the token has expired. Since I don't understand any of this I tried to figure out on my own what was going wrong and jumped to the wild conclusion that I had committed some social media Faux-pas. Mea Culpa. Since I can't link to the old thread from my computer, I'd just as soon keep going forward with this one. Again, Sorry for the mix-up. Plenty of good swimming going on these days at Sachuest.... water temps in the 60s. Summer has arrived. 430 swims scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, but seems like every day there are people showing up to swim together. Mike G
  • While I am fussing around with the computer I get the bad news that one of our favorite Sachuest swimmers is very ill in Beth Isreal Hospital in Boston. Everyone out there please pray for the healing powers of the spirit which binds us all together, to work to restore Andy Arkway, of Aquidneck Land Trust, to health. May you swim with us again soon Andy. Get well. We miss you!
  • Water has been cold (58-60F) at Sachuest due to steady Northerly breezes which cause upwelling. Hard core swimmers have been getting out there anyway in wetsuits, and enjoying it, reporting clear waters and sightings of fish beneath them. There should be some warming his week, and regular 430PM swims are already on the schedule for Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
  • Several good swims this past week at Sachuest. Waters were quite cool still but participation was good nonetheless. Winds from the West Wednesday made the waters calm(ish). Felt like a lake swim. While yesterday we had nice wind driven rollers and slightly more tolerable temps. Sunday we will do the second of our first to second beach swims, with an unusally early start, to accommodate Father's Day. Meet at 6 AM at surfer's end of second beach to carpool over to first beach. We should be done by 730AM. Andy Arkway is still very ill; progress has not been good. Please keep him in your prayers. Mike
  • We've been having regular swims at 430 every weekday. Plenty of attendance. Yesterday was big, with everyone getting a super workout. (Lots of wave action.) Many small moon jellies have appeared now, and the Ocean temps are right up there. My estimate was between 74 and 77F at yesterday's swim. There is a big 40 steps to 2nd beach (2.1 miles) or 1st to second beach (1.8 miles) swim planned for this coming Sunday, July 10th. (Both swims are planned.) There will be kayak support. Meet at Surfer's end of second beach at 0615AM.
  • I've been off this thread for a while but the SOSers are alive and well thanks to facebook and my email list. Contact me if you want to join up with us in the Newport RI area through October. There is a big 2 miler this coming Sunday from 40 steps to Second Beach. Meet at surfer's end of second beach at 645am. Swim well and seek peace! :angel:
  • 2013 has been a great year for open water swimming at Sachuest. Many mini-groups have formed. Sometimes they let you know what is going on ahead of time, sometimes they post afterwards. If you want to get connected with our swims check out sachuest ocean swimmers on facebook, or email me mikegarr@msn.com We're swimming into November every year, and have a blast. Swim Well Seek Peace
  • We be in the midst of the cold winter so still in the pool, but we are hoping to get started in late May at the latest. We have an email list, a facebook page, this forum blog, and a google calendar. I'll be posting links to all of these soon. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in group swims at Sachuest Beach in Middletown, RI. Open ocean swimming rules! Mikegarr@msn.com
  • I have been off this thread for three seasons! Wow. Since I last posted I became USMS level 1 and 2 coach, I have been instructing in the open water and in the pool, and the group of swimmers has been going along (a lot of them without me, and on their own, in sub-groups.) We are still swimming, and had a nice swim in Mackerel Cove in Jamestown on Sunday morning. No one wore wetsuits, and four of us had USMS inflatable safer swimmer buoys. Water temps are down to 68, but we are again losing light. So we were comfortable until we got out, which is always a hypothermia risk. Not so much while we swim but when we stop and stand around in the wind not exercising. It's important to be aware, and watch each other. That's why I never swim alone. I plan to be blogging more often as I try to make swimming more of an occupation into my retirement..... Cheers, Mike