Sachuest Beach Open Water Swims

Good news! We've had the best ever start to our season. Bill R got in early in May on a good weekend day. Last week we swam Tuesday-Friday around 430 each day with Friday having 8 participants. Today and tomorrow we will have 4PM swims. Newport, RI visitors, if you want an early season ocean swim second beach is the place. I've already had a 50+ minute swim without wetsuit. (and Ellen A was similarly attired.) Water temps have been variable, 58-66F. Doable. If you want to join in, we have a facebook page, Sachuest Ocean Swimmers, and you can email me. mikegarr@usms.org. Swim Fast Seek Peace! Mike G
Parents
  • I have been off this thread for three seasons! Wow. Since I last posted I became USMS level 1 and 2 coach, I have been instructing in the open water and in the pool, and the group of swimmers has been going along (a lot of them without me, and on their own, in sub-groups.) We are still swimming, and had a nice swim in Mackerel Cove in Jamestown on Sunday morning. No one wore wetsuits, and four of us had USMS inflatable safer swimmer buoys. Water temps are down to 68, but we are again losing light. So we were comfortable until we got out, which is always a hypothermia risk. Not so much while we swim but when we stop and stand around in the wind not exercising. It's important to be aware, and watch each other. That's why I never swim alone. I plan to be blogging more often as I try to make swimming more of an occupation into my retirement..... Cheers, Mike
  • I have been off this thread for three seasons! Wow. Since I last posted I became USMS level 1 and 2 coach, I have been instructing in the open water and in the pool, and the group of swimmers has been going along (a lot of them without me, and on their own, in sub-groups.) We are still swimming, and had a nice swim in Mackerel Cove in Jamestown on Sunday morning. No one wore wetsuits, and four of us had USMS inflatable safer swimmer buoys. Water temps are down to 68, but we are again losing light. So we were comfortable until we got out, which is always a hypothermia risk. Not so much while we swim but when we stop and stand around in the wind not exercising. It's important to be aware, and watch each other. That's why I never swim alone. I plan to be blogging more often as I try to make swimming more of an occupation into my retirement..... Cheers, Mike
Children
No Data