Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
  • www.chron.com/.../5029946.html Here is a link to the story. Very sad. Swimmy :)
  • Every swim race director's fear... I pray for the family, friends, and race director, knowing how much pain something like this will cause. It's sobering. One might at least say that the person died in mid-adventure, following a passion. We will all die one day, and of something. It would be even sadder to leave behind regret that one lived in fear of trying things because they could be unsafe. I feel for Ms. Lowes, and I hope that her family finds comfort in the fact that she chose "the road less traveled," embraced life and its challenges.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I am most sorry for this terrible outcome for Ms. Lowes and her family. I wish them to find peace in the coming days.
  • As the race director for the event, let me say that all of us associated with the event are terribly saddened by what occurred & our thoughts, condolences and prayers are with Ms. Lowes' family & friends (who are discussing a return to next year's event to honor & commemorate her). As to the cause of death, the medical examiner's report will not be ready for at least another 2 months - yes, it's a long, long time. And until the report is finalized, it's pure speculation to say what caused her death. As for OWS being unsafe, in particular swimming from Alcatraz, the Alcatraz Challenge has been around for 27 years and there are now a total of 7 commercial Alcatraz events put on by various groups each year with roughly 5,000 to 6,000 people doing the crossing annually - some as young as 10 and some in their 70's. To date, I estimate that upwards of 30,000 to 35,000 people have swum from Alcatraz over the years. And in all that time, with all those who have completed the crossing successfully, this is the first time someone has died. Unsafe? You be the judge.
  • Former Member
    A sad thing, indeed. My condolences to her loved ones. I am curious if anyone knows the cause of death. I tried googling for the info, but can't find anything. I guess the short question would be "Did she die because she was doing something dangerous (open water swimming), or because it was simply her time"? I heard about it from someone who seems to think OWS is pretty dangerous.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for posting Gary. I'm sure that the last few weeks have been terrible for you with criticism from people who know nothing about open water swimming. In my experience (6 Alcatraz swims so far), you and the other race directors have done a fantastic job of making a challenging swim safe and enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is possible to die while swimming- even in a 25 yard pool. Hopefully this tragic death of a swimmer in the Alcatraz Challenge won't lead to future events being cancelled anytime conditions are less than ideal. Hang in there!
  • Former Member
    To date, I estimate that upwards of 30,000 to 35,000 people have swum from Alcatraz over the years. And in all that time, with all those who have completed the crossing successfully, this is the first time someone has died. Unsafe? You be the judge. I'd say that the Alcatraz swim is safer than getting in my car and making the ususal morning commute. Gary, I'm so sorry this happened. My condolences to you and to the family. If I could choose how to go when my time comes, I wouldn't mind going this way, quickly, doing something I love. Dying while swimming or running doesn't scare me at all; what does is a lingering death in some hellhole of a nursing home from some horrible condition like a disabling stroke or Alzheimer's disease with my mind gone and my body incapacitated. Harsh as it sounds, in the long term, we will all be dead, and there are much much worse ways to die than in an open water swim. I know this is scant consolation, but perhaps this was her time, her chance to go in a way that avoided the proverbial fate worse than death.
  • Thanks for posting Gary. I'm sure that the last few weeks have been terrible for you with criticism from people who know nothing about open water swimming. In my experience (6 Alcatraz swims so far), you and the other race directors have done a fantastic job of making a challenging swim safe and enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is possible to die while swimming- even in a 25 yard pool. Hopefully this tragic death of a swimmer in the Alcatraz Challenge won't lead to future events being cancelled anytime conditions are less than ideal. Hang in there! I don't think any athletic event can be guaranteed safe. I think most of us know this when we sign up. I've been in marathons in which deaths have occurred, and for that matter, someone had a heart attack and died in a 5k run in which I participated. All of these races were very well organized, had EMT's available and water stations and all the safety precautions in place. Sometimes deaths have occurred in people apparently very fit. I also know that this is the race director's nightmare come true. I was in communication (for an article) with a swim race director who spoke of the constant worry race directors have about something going wrong safetywise, and the many levels of care taken to prevent such things from happening. Yet they sometimes still happen, despite every effort to the contrary. Fortunately, in the race I mention, everyone's either finished or dnf'd safely. I'm grateful for that, and the r.d. is exceedingly grateful. It's an immense responsibility, and not a single race director I've met doesn't take that to heart. Gemich, I'm very sorry this happened and, as mentioned eariler, my condolences and prayers also go to you as you try to sort out what took place. If I were the one to leave life during/after a race, I hope my family and friends would know that at least I went out doing something I loved. There's a saying that "if you never risk anything, you risk even more."
  • Former Member
    I am a teammate and friend of Sally Lowes, the swimmer who died at Alcatraz. I can assure you that her death has been very difficult for her family and friends. We don't know what happened to her yet and may never know. Nevertheless, I think Sally was doing something she really loved and the Alcatraz swim was a challenge she was looking forward to for months. I saw her moments before we all went in the water and she was as excited as the rest of us. Her son told me he wanted to make the swim next year and finish it for his mom. If he does, many of us will be with him. Fred Johnson Houston, TX
  • Former Member
    Fred - thanks for your post. My heartfelt sympathy to you and all of Sally's friends and family. I love that you wrote "she was excited..." Indeed. I hope my friends remember me as one who was excited and passionate about something as opposed to "last time I saw her she was sloshed on a bar stool." Hope to see your Team next year.