Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Thanks for posting Gary. I'm sure that the last few weeks have been terrible for you with criticism from people who know nothing about open water swimming. In my experience (6 Alcatraz swims so far), you and the other race directors have done a fantastic job of making a challenging swim safe and enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is possible to die while swimming- even in a 25 yard pool. Hopefully this tragic death of a swimmer in the Alcatraz Challenge won't lead to future events being cancelled anytime conditions are less than ideal. Hang in there!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Thanks for posting Gary. I'm sure that the last few weeks have been terrible for you with criticism from people who know nothing about open water swimming. In my experience (6 Alcatraz swims so far), you and the other race directors have done a fantastic job of making a challenging swim safe and enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is possible to die while swimming- even in a 25 yard pool. Hopefully this tragic death of a swimmer in the Alcatraz Challenge won't lead to future events being cancelled anytime conditions are less than ideal. Hang in there!
Children
No Data