Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
Parents
  • As the race director for the event, let me say that all of us associated with the event are terribly saddened by what occurred & our thoughts, condolences and prayers are with Ms. Lowes' family & friends (who are discussing a return to next year's event to honor & commemorate her). As to the cause of death, the medical examiner's report will not be ready for at least another 2 months - yes, it's a long, long time. And until the report is finalized, it's pure speculation to say what caused her death. As for OWS being unsafe, in particular swimming from Alcatraz, the Alcatraz Challenge has been around for 27 years and there are now a total of 7 commercial Alcatraz events put on by various groups each year with roughly 5,000 to 6,000 people doing the crossing annually - some as young as 10 and some in their 70's. To date, I estimate that upwards of 30,000 to 35,000 people have swum from Alcatraz over the years. And in all that time, with all those who have completed the crossing successfully, this is the first time someone has died. Unsafe? You be the judge.
  • As the race director for the event, let me say that all of us associated with the event are terribly saddened by what occurred & our thoughts, condolences and prayers are with Ms. Lowes' family & friends (who are discussing a return to next year's event to honor & commemorate her). As to the cause of death, the medical examiner's report will not be ready for at least another 2 months - yes, it's a long, long time. And until the report is finalized, it's pure speculation to say what caused her death. As for OWS being unsafe, in particular swimming from Alcatraz, the Alcatraz Challenge has been around for 27 years and there are now a total of 7 commercial Alcatraz events put on by various groups each year with roughly 5,000 to 6,000 people doing the crossing annually - some as young as 10 and some in their 70's. To date, I estimate that upwards of 30,000 to 35,000 people have swum from Alcatraz over the years. And in all that time, with all those who have completed the crossing successfully, this is the first time someone has died. Unsafe? You be the judge.
Children
No Data