Alcatraz Death

Former Member
Former Member
I was saddened to hear that a swimmer died this weekend while attempting the Alcatraz Challenge. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Sally Lowes of Houston.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    To date, I estimate that upwards of 30,000 to 35,000 people have swum from Alcatraz over the years. And in all that time, with all those who have completed the crossing successfully, this is the first time someone has died. Unsafe? You be the judge. I'd say that the Alcatraz swim is safer than getting in my car and making the ususal morning commute. Gary, I'm so sorry this happened. My condolences to you and to the family. If I could choose how to go when my time comes, I wouldn't mind going this way, quickly, doing something I love. Dying while swimming or running doesn't scare me at all; what does is a lingering death in some hellhole of a nursing home from some horrible condition like a disabling stroke or Alzheimer's disease with my mind gone and my body incapacitated. Harsh as it sounds, in the long term, we will all be dead, and there are much much worse ways to die than in an open water swim. I know this is scant consolation, but perhaps this was her time, her chance to go in a way that avoided the proverbial fate worse than death.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    To date, I estimate that upwards of 30,000 to 35,000 people have swum from Alcatraz over the years. And in all that time, with all those who have completed the crossing successfully, this is the first time someone has died. Unsafe? You be the judge. I'd say that the Alcatraz swim is safer than getting in my car and making the ususal morning commute. Gary, I'm so sorry this happened. My condolences to you and to the family. If I could choose how to go when my time comes, I wouldn't mind going this way, quickly, doing something I love. Dying while swimming or running doesn't scare me at all; what does is a lingering death in some hellhole of a nursing home from some horrible condition like a disabling stroke or Alzheimer's disease with my mind gone and my body incapacitated. Harsh as it sounds, in the long term, we will all be dead, and there are much much worse ways to die than in an open water swim. I know this is scant consolation, but perhaps this was her time, her chance to go in a way that avoided the proverbial fate worse than death.
Children
No Data