SwimTrek

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone done a SwimTrek trip? Not hardcore, but sounds like a lot of fun! www.swimtrek.com :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Thanks for all the trip reports! I'm considering Croatia as the most immediately doable for me. All the details - hillwalking, sunburn, divided groups, take my flippers - are great beta! Any problems with security? Entrusting your passport and ticket home to others while out frolicking? Did you use special goggles for saltwater swimming? Thanks, VB The hotel desk clerk in Prvic asked for our passports when we checked in, which was a little un-nerving, but they put them in a safe so we didn't have to worry about it. We came back there every night, Swimtrek has largely done away with the format of swimming from island to island and staying in a different one each night. My luggage got left behind in Frankfurt, but was delivered in time to go to the island the next day. Luckily, the suits and goggles were in the carry-on bag. A good reason to arrive a day or two early. I used my ordinary goggles, one in a dark tint and one clear. Just don't touch the parts of you that are vaselined and then touch your goggles! If you have to stay overnight in Split either coming or going, stay in the center of town, it's actually easier to get to the airport or the island from there because the bus stop is there.
  • Former Member
    I have been wanting to do a number of their swims.
  • Former Member
    I did the Croatia trip last August and loved it so much that I am going to Malta this year. Re: how strenuous (or not) the trip was, previous to Swimtrek I had been only a recreational swimmer except for training for a triathlon 20 years ago. Six months before my Swimtrek I worked with a coach who taught me bilateral breathing and helped me refine my basic technique. Before I left I felt confident and well prepared. This first day of our swim the water was very choppy and on the second day the current was so strong that anytime you paused to rest you were pushed back 500m within moments. Suffice to say, early on i wasn't having much fun! On the third day things went swimmingly (pun intended) and I really began enjoying myself. The boat pilot and guides were great too. I felt very safe, well cared for and well fed. What more could you want?! When you go, buy a local map and plot out your route; it makes a great souvenir of your adventure and it impresses the folks at home too!
  • Former Member
    I went on their Greek trip last year and have signed up for Sardinia this year. I didn't realize that the tour I signed up for was their very first tour in Sardinia, I'm sure it'll be great...
  • Former Member
    ...Would it be a problem going on my own as a female?... A lot of women go on these trips - I was one. I felt quite comfortable traveling on my own in Croatia to get there, and there were a few other single females on the tour itself. I ended up with my own room despite not requesting one and would now pay extra to get one on future trips. European hotel rooms are small and it was great to have the extra space to spread things out and not have to worry about taking up the whole bathroom with damp swim stuff.
  • Former Member
    Hi everyone, I'm considering doing a Swimtrek holiday, but there are a few things I'd like some info on if possible. First, I'd have to go on my own, as although I have a lot of very fit friends, unfortunately none of them are keen swimmers - I run and cycle with them, but they all seem to hate the water!! Would it be a problem going on my own as a female? Second, what about wetsuits? I only swim in a pool at present, and although I can swim the distances recommended in the brochure, I've never swum in open water, and wouldn't know whether or not to invest in a wetsuit. Or can you hire them from Swimtrek? Do they provide any kit? Third, I'm a vegetarian. Do you think I'd have any problems with that, or do Swimtrek cater for this? I realise that it would be very important to get enough calories in for the long swims. Fourth, sunburn! I'm a pale Scottish lass, and I'm a bit worried about reports on this forum about sunburn - I wouldn't stand a chance!! Any tips? Thanks all, fifi
  • Former Member
    I've been on two SwimTrek tours and most of the swimmers were there by themselves, some single, some whose partners just weren't that into swimming. SwimTrek provides websuits for free. Depending on which trip you go on you may not need a wetsuit (e.g. Greece) unless you are the type that is always cold. I don't think you'll have any trouble eating vegetarian for breakfast and lunch (which are supplied), it could depend on which trip you go on and the local food for supper (where you'll eat out). It wouldn't hurt to let them know in advance. I sunburn extremely easily and sunscreen only gets me so far, both trips I had to resort to wearing a rashguard shirt. I would recommend getting one in advance, they do have some you can borrow or buy but you might not get one that fits you exactly, depending on your build. If your suit provides good coverage then the size of the rashguard is less critical, my problem was they didn't have one that was snug enough around the chest but long enough to make it to my swimsuit. I found sunscreen was enough for my legs, when wearing jammers. So, just put some thought into your suit choice and a rashguard shirt and you should be okay. Of course, if you go with a wimpsuit, I mean wetsuit, that can provide the UV protection.
  • Former Member
    Good to hear that Swimtrek is getting some positive reviews. Just recently I have started swimming again after a 15yr hiatus. My dream has always been to swim the Hellespont and was real excited to se that Swimtrek has a trip for this swim. Looks like it will take me 2 years before my schedule will allow me to take the trip, so plenty of training time to work up my fitness level. Yeah I`m guilty of being a couch slug of late and need to drop a few pounds or 20-30. Gonna go to a total immersion technique seminr to refine my stroke technique so I can be more efficient. Anyone use the Total Immersion technique and is it efective in open water? To keep my motivation up I plan on swimming across the local lake next spring(~2-3km).
  • Trying to "wake" this thread up and found the perfect excuse. chattcatdaddy, you mentioned it would take you two years before your sked will allow you to go on the Hellespont trip. So, are you going? I just found SwimTrek online and am thinking of doing the Hellespont swim, if the boss allows that is. :whiteflag:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    With so many amazing locations to visit, we can see why our total number of guests are higher than ever before! But what to do if your dates don’t work with friends, or don’t have anyone to travel with? Many of our guests arrive as solo travellers, but after a SwimTrek tour, they leave with a whole host of friends. Solo travel can open a world of possibilities, and our guests accounts below show just how amazing these experiences can be! facetime android