nausea during & after swim

I am a 61 yr old lap swimmer. about a yr ago I started to get nausea after about 48 lengths. I feel seasick. I have had my cardilogist check me out. Over the last 3 months I stopped swimming and exercising due to high blood pressure. The dr. changed my meds and I am now normal at 120/70 with a pulse of 52 beats. I am obese, 279#and 66" tall. Now that I've been deemed healthy I have returned to the pool with a swim team. I now am getting seasick again and losing my lunch shortly thereafter. I have tried swimming only until the nausea starts and getting out but I get ill. I've been keeping hydrated. Does any one have an idea what to try to get past the nausea feeling? Thanks
  • I don't know if this will work or not but try sucking on a mint. I started this when I was pregnant and had bad morning sickness. Now I swim at 4:45am and there are days when my stomach is just not settled right. I suck on a mint during practice, even getting out to get one if needed.
  • Don't swim after eating.give yourself time for any food you've had to get out of your stomach. When I swim in the AM, I take a small piece of cheese before I leave the house. It's almost an hour before I get in the water. Remember the old advice to wait an hour? Swimming before eating entitles me to a nice breakfast after.
  • Have you perhaps considered that the nausea center is not in the heart, but in the brain? There are two or three reasons why nausea occurs: when you figure out what this is, you can then attack that problem and get rid of the nausea. One thing may be an imbalance in your middle ear. We have three tiny little bones in our middle ears that sometimes get off kilter, and can cause extreme dizziness and nausea, and sometimes they just cause nausea. Your neurologist can help correct this by teaching you balance techniques, and perhaps even doing what is called an "Eply Maneuver" to help right these tiny bones back into place. Another problem may be sensory. You may actually inhaling something in the pool area that activates your brains nausea center. You may not realize it as an unpleasant odor, or even smell it at all, but it may be there. Also, you may not be eating enough prior to your swim, and your blood sugar may be dipping so low as to cause nausea -- this is a delicate rope to walk, as you don't want to eat so much as to make yourself sick, or get a stitch in your side, but you also don't want to starve yourself so much so that you are sick (nauseous) from hunger. These are only a few possible causes of nausea - you might want to consider consulting a neurologist though. Never be afraid of consulting the experts!!
  • I have two suggestions.. 1. Acid reflux gets worse when you swim because you are prone and don't have your head elevated, plus if you flip turn you are upside down. Try some Tums before swimming. 2. I get seasick in open water and take Dramamine before I swim in the ocean. I don't think I'd want to do that regularly in pool practices. If it's not reflux, try Dramamine once and see what happens.
  • thank you for the suggestions. I will be trying several, in the hopes of getting back to the enjoyment of swimming. steve
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I would suspect there could be an underlying issue, or maybe you're over working yourself. I know I always feel sick if I think about food while swimming. You could try taking some Benadryl or Dramamine before you swim. Also take some tums before you swim. That's really the only OTC solution. I'd definitely bring it up with your doctor if the problem stays or gets worse.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    thank you for the suggestions. I will be trying the zcode system soon, in the hopes of getting back to the enjoyment of swimming. steve I used to get nauseous while swimming too. These days I don't eat for at least an hour before swimming or take meds before swimming. Since doing this I rarely get nausea.
  • I was having some queasiness when the swim group pool had a salty taste to it, and it helped when I put a few drops of ginger extract in the water I drank during workouts. Now they're back to regular chlorinated water, which sets off my allergies but doesn't make me queasy. (Small favors, ha!) I also have found the ginger helpful for open water swims in saltwater settings. Fresh water doesn't seem to have the same effect.