Water tight ear plugs

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone out there know if any great earplugs that prevent swimmers ear? I have tried some for about 1 month and got double ear infections. I have been out of swimming for 2 weeks and really want to get back in the pool any ideas?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    The results from my comparison: TYR Silicon Earplugs: Worthless. Unlike Speedo silicon plugs, these are not entirely malleable. They retain their disk shape, although you can make them longer and narrower. But they want to return to their original wafer-like shape, so once you're in the water, it's a matter of minutes before they stop fitting the form of your ear and the water pours in. Speedo Silicon Earplugs: Very good. They shape easily, and they fit well. Downside -- you have to fit them just right or they will loosen up in fast swimming, especially pushing off the wall (see my earlier post). They also accumulate grit very easily, which makes them stop adhering to your skin, so you have to replace them often. BPI Cotton/Lanolin/Bee's Wax Earplugs: Excellent! After swimming with these things, I'm hooked. They mold like the Speedo silicon, but adhere much better. I haven't had them leak once, not even a little. (I gave their URL in an earlier post when I ordered them.) Bottom line: If you're thinking about paying for customs, I'd recommend trying the BPI product first. Their Web site is a little bizarre, but hey, the things work like a charm.
  • Former Member
    I posted the below info in a thread from 2007: Wanted: Speedo Ear Plugs (old style, catapilar) - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums ----------------------------------- I have found two styles that work well for me. They're not exactly like the "caterpillars" but they're close. Here is contact information for both manufacturers. ------------------------- Aearo Company 8001 Woodland Dr Indianapolis, IN 46278 317-692-6616 http://www.aearo.com/ Choose the selection that says E*A*R Choose "premolded, reusable earplugs" Choose "UltraFit" Within the below PDF document, there is a comment about how you can get free samples at www.ultrafitoffer.com: www.aearo.com/.../Ultrafit.pdf This company normally sells in large quantities through places like Grainger. I'll bet if you call them and explain why you want them they may sell them to you in a smaller quantity. ---------------------------------- Howard Leight Industries 7828 Waterville Rd San Diego, CA 92154 800-327-1110 www.howardleight.com Earplug main page: www.howardleight.com/.../products.asp I bought these at a drugstore. They were indiviually packaged as "AquaSeal" ear plugs. They look like the style called "Smart Fit" on the below page. www.howardleight.com/.../products2.asp I hope this helps! Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    I use 79 cent hardware store earplugs. I keep four or five pairs in my bag so that they can dry out between swims. If I do not put them in wet they work like a charm. If I try to swim without them the water hammers on my eardrum when I turn my head to breath. I cannot swim freestyle without them.
  • Former Member
    Just FYI, I started having problems with the cotton/beeswax/lanolin earplugs letting water in. Then I figured maybe it was because it had gotten so cold. I theorized that perhaps they weren't entirely softened when I put them in, and as they softened up from my body heat, they started leaking. So I put them in my pocket (I keep them in a little container kind of like an old 35mm film capsule) during the morning so they'd be nice and warm when they went in my ears. That did the trick! No more leaks.
  • I have not swum for about a week now. I caught some kind of virus and it settled in my inner ear. I have partial deafness in my left ear! I went to a regular doctor within 24 hours of onset and I am taking antibiotics. However, the deafness remains. Up to now I've been swimming 10 to 11 miles a week for the past 3 months inpreparation for the Cross Chesapeake Bay Swim June 13 this year. Gawd, do I need to give up swimming because of ear problems? (I can not give up swimming.) I plan to see an EENT Dr. first thing tomorrow morning. For the first time in my life I have bought ear plugs and a nose clip with the intent of getting back into the pool later this week. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • I have not swum for about a week now. I caught some kind of virus and it settled in my inner ear. Be sure to bring it up with the EENT. With a middle or inner ear infection following a cold or other kind of whole-body illness, I would be more concerned about dizziness than about water in the ear canal. If you have an inner ear infection, the problem is on the other side of your eardrum from the pool anyway.
  • I cut this tip out of a magazine and use this after every swim: "Swimmer Natalie Coughlin, a two-time Olymic gold medalist, mixes equal parts rubbing alcohol (to dry) and white vinegar (to disinfect) in an eye dropper. Then she puts a few drops in the ear canal, waits 30 seconds, and drains it." I use a syringe and it works great! (Just make sure to be gentle!) This seems to be a terrific way to prevent ear infections. It works for me! :D
  • Former Member
    I am one of those people who can get an ear infection if I walk past the pool. My solution is that I must thoroughly rinse each ear at least a half a dozen times immediately after getting out of the pool. If I always do that I'm ok. If I miss it once I can count on problems. Point is you need to find a routine that allows you to swim as much as you'd like. Never give up swimming. I doubt the deafness in one ear is anything but temporary, but I'll leave that to the E,N&T doc. (Last year I went partially deaf in one ear because the wax build up was so bad, but that does not sound like your problem)
  • I used to depend on the Speedo Caterpillars and was a bit desperate when they were discontinued. Found these Barracuda plugs to be a really effective alternative. They are blue in color, shaped like a big comma and have a seperate right and left ear. Fit tight and very comfortable. www.swimoutlet.com/.../18029.htm
  • Former Member
    TYR Silicon Earplugs: Worthless. Unlike Speedo silicon plugs, these are not entirely malleable. They retain their disk shape, although you can make them longer and narrower. But they want to return to their original wafer-like shape, so once you're in the water, it's a matter of minutes before they stop fitting the form of your ear and the water pours in. Confirming this.