Water tight ear plugs

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone out there know if any great earplugs that prevent swimmers ear? I have tried some for about 1 month and got double ear infections. I have been out of swimming for 2 weeks and really want to get back in the pool any ideas?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I had a terrible ear infection this past summer and did a lot of experimenting with various ear plugs. First of all some good anti-biotic ear drops were the most effective for me. Silicone Ear Plugs (Mouldable like Mack's) - I couldn't really get these to even stick or stay in place in my ear, much less think they would be waterproof...never even made it in the water with these. Speedo Ear Plugs (Very soft plastic that looks like a mushroom w/ 3 heads, and similar other brand variations) - I use one of these now in my problem ear and seems to work best. I tried smearing vaseline all over this ear plug to make it more waterproof, but didn't seem to help. I read where some tried stuffing cotton balls coated with vaseline in their ears. From what I have read, the problem is almost certainly with the pool. I picked mine up from a strange pool when traveling. Good luck, and get well fast! :applaud:
  • Former Member
    get a custom made pair... about 60 bucks from an audiologist. i've seen do it yourself kits for about 15 bucks, but haven't tried them. i've had the same pair for 3 years now, and i use them daily for hearing protection as well as swimming (open water only)
  • Former Member
    I use the Speedo silicon plugs. I had buttons in my ears as a little kid, and busted my right ear drum about 10 years ago, so I have to keep water out or I get bad problems. The silicon plugs work well if you use them right. First, roll them in your palm to soften and warm them up before putting them in your ears. Second, if you can change your ear pressure, increase the pressure before putting them in, then reduce the pressure. This seems to help. But I admit, it may be entirely bogus. :blush: The most important part is what you do after you put them in your ears. In my experience -- and I've tinkered with them a lot -- you need to make sure you spread out the plug so it covers the area around the ear canal, all the way to the rim on the back, lower, and front sides. But the top part -- the leading edge when you're swimming -- is most important. In that area, don't spread it too thin! If you try to cover too much area there, you end up creating a flap, and when you come off the wall, pressure from the water will lift up the flap and you'll get a rush of water into your ear canal. Instead, on the top/leading side, make a blunt edge that ends at the bony ridge that runs horizontally across your ear. What you want is for the water to run up that bony ridge, hit the silicon, and continue to flow over the ear plug. If you shape the ear plug so that water hits that ridge, moves outward, then planes across the surface of the plug (parallel with the sides of your body) and hits your ear lobe and flows around your ear, then your plugs should stay intact for an entire practice or race.
  • Former Member
    One problem with ear plugs is that if water gets beyond the plug you may not feel it and theres no letting the water out till the ear plug comes out. That said. If you wear a cap low over the ears with ear plugs that fit it can help to keep the plugs in place.
  • I use the reusable ones I get from work (aircraft). A little lip balm let's them slide in the ear nicely and no water get's by at all. They're also handy for lowering noise levels of fighting kid's in the back of the car.
  • Former Member
    I found that after many years of ear problems the most important thing I can do is to rinse my ears thoroughly after swimming. While in the shower at the pool I repeatedly fill one ear with water and let it drain and then do the other. I probably do this 3-4 times for each ear. If I don't do this I invariably have ear problems. You could also consider using one of those ear flushing squeeze bulbs that shoot water in your ear. Using distilled water might also have some benefit (just guessing).
  • IMHO silicone ear plugs & ear drops & wash ears after swimming
  • Former Member
    I'm going to try these earplugs here. Will report back. Will probably be a few weeks b/c I have to get them shipped. FWIW, I tried custom earplugs and non-custom inflexible (non-silicone) earplugs, and had zero success -- they all leaked immediately. The silicon earplugs work well, but they tend to become less effective fairly quickly with repeated use, and I'm hoping that the WFEP (wax/cotton/lanolin) plugs might be a bit more durable.
  • Former Member
    the moldable ones kind of work. some water still gets in but it seems to be less than without. i only wore them for about a month two years ago until a mild infection cleared up, and regular use of the ear drops (and I suspect, switching from the rarely-cleaned pool I was in previously) has prevented any recurrence. the ear drops are the special kind for swimmers, isopropyl alcohol with glycerin. normal drugstore isopropyl alcohol is a lower concentration and doesn't work as well.
  • Former Member
    My daughter suffers with ear infections. Her coach told us to go to the local shooting shop. They made her some custom fit ear plugs which work really well. It cost us 50GBP but well worth it.