Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I'm also very interested in the stretching exercises that she undergoes (reported at 60 minutes). Recently, I went to an NBA basketball game and could not believe how much range of motion the players had to undertake while warming up. After a short warmup (jogging, shooting), each player had his legs stretched by a trainer who appeared to use his body weight to pull and push each players leg while they were prone (stomach and back) past what would be a normal range. Our college basketball teams don't do anything close to what the pros were doing for stretching. DT's two stretch/massage trainers may be applying similar techniques to increase her range of motion and strength -esp where one has limited mechanical advantage. Dara is being stretched using a method called Resistance Flexibility & Strength Training. The method of stretching you saw the NBA players being stretched with was most likely PNF stretching or active isolated stretching. RFST has yet to hit mainstream. Dara started training with Bob Cooley, the creator of the system, back in 2000 for the Sydney games and she is now getting stretched several times each week.
  • Ouch. Paul is there something you're not telling me at 5:30 AM workout? I was wondering why all those needled are floating in my lane.:thhbbb: Sam...sorry to say those were IV's which provide a high dosage of advil/starbucks espresso... Hey Noodles....with the exception of Armstrong I have not accused anyone of cheating in these discussions...however I will say that a healthy dose of skepticsm is an important part of living in the world today. "if it walks like a duck"
  • Former Member
    Hey Luther, Is there any way to get more info on her stretching strength program??? I'm very interested in that... That might be the "natural" edge I'm looking for...
  • Former Member
    “The honest and just man believes others to be honest and just until proven otherwise; whilst the cheat and the crook believe all others are cheats and crooks, some just haven’t been caught.” Anonymous :dunno::dunno:
  • Former Member
    “The honest and just man believes others to be honest and just until proven otherwise; whilst the cheat and the crook believe all others are cheats and crooks, some just haven’t been caught.” Anonymous :dunno::dunno: Ouch. Paul is there something you're not telling me at 5:30 AM workout? I was wondering why all those needles are floating in my lane.:thhbbb:
  • Former Member
    Noodles, The "honest man" that believed in Marion Jones after all the allegations was proved a blind idiot in the end. I suppose you believe Flo Jo's performances were clean and that she died of "natural" causes. Common sense is always a better tool than blind faith and wanting to believe. JMiller, No one has ever said that Dara wasn't talented with good stoke technique. The issue is "the edge" over her competitors especially at her ripe old age. In additon, taking drugs to win is not about rational thought in any athlete's mind. It's about ego and winning at any cost. John Smith
  • Former Member
    So why is this post OK, but Kirk's link to Floswimming was given the boot? Good question.
  • Former Member
    Hey Luther, Is there any way to get more info on her stretching strength program??? I'm very interested in that... That might be the "natural" edge I'm looking for... JMiller, Check out www.meridianstretching.com for a list of trainers. Like I said before, it hasn't really hit mainstream, so there aren't an abundance of trainers yet. There is also a book called The Genius of Flexibility, by Bob Cooley, available on Amazon and in most major bookstores. It has more information about the system along with pictures of the stretches. I recommend finding a trainer in your area if possible though, as assisted stretching is really where it's at. I started studying several years ago for personal practice, but had so much positive change in my own body that I became certified to teach. It's a great method for rehabilitating from injuries and getting the "natural" edge that you seem to be looking for. Feel free to message me if you would like more information. Luther
  • So why is this post OK, but Kirk's link to Floswimming was given the boot? My guess is it's because the post was not a thread starter. That might have made it harder to notice. If all they do is delete threads they'd be throwing the baby out with the bath water to delete this (semi-interesting) thread. Skip
  • The latest on Dara: www.timedfinals.com/.../ also a short interview by Swimming World where the drug issue comes up: www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../16313.asp