Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Tiny? ROFLMAO. Anyone who's 5'11" with her statuesque physique is not "tiny." Well, I did mean bulk, not height. :D I was sitting right off the starting blocks for the 50 tonight and she's plenty lean. Good for her. I don't see too many other athletes making similar offers re: testing.
  • Former Member
    Has anyone given any thought as to why someone swims. I have thought long and hard on this and have not commented in this thread. I swim because it feels good. Do I want to be the fastest in my age group. If I did I would work hard and try. What a waste of time trying to be the best. What are the rewards except to meet your maker sooner. Dara Torres amazing for sure. It does not make me want to do any more than I do. It does not make me want to train and beat the Smith boys, the good one or the bad one...
  • Former Member
    You are correct, counselor. Too many red blood cells is a condition called polycythemia. Your blood becomes too thick, forming clots that can cause strokes and heart attacks. Out of curiosity, how close would the normal person be to this level vs a top level athlete
  • Former Member
    A friend told me there was a reason Coach Quick left Stanford. Something about supplements, maximum permissable limits and daily testing to monitor levels. Who trained Dara in 2000? hmm
  • Former Member
    I guess i better not use this blood enhancer that I used when I used to climb mountains. mount-kinabalu-borneo.com/.../rhodiola-rosea-herbal-remedy-for-acute-mountain-sickness.html There was a coach I know and most of you know his name - he supplied all the drinking water for his swimmers. It was laden with all kinds of goodies.
  • Former Member
    Looking at other individual sports (Cross country skiing, cycling, track & field, rowing, tennis) it is possible to find Olympians in their 40s. The amazing - disturbing - part of the story is the 6 year break. I believe that a similar comeback was made in speed skating where Dr. Erhard Keller (Olympic champion 68 - 72) managed to duplicate his previous best time over 500m at the age of 38 or 39 after having taking a break of many years. Here we have a roughly similar story from the past, except that the good doctor's best time was not competitive anymore when he posted it.
  • Former Member
    Everything changes, times change because of training techniques. Also changes in actual technique. Most of us old guys can almost equal our old times when we train. The problem is to train.
  • "I'm sure there are kids out there who are upset that I might take their spot making the Olympic team," Torres said. "And I've thought about that. But the bottom line is, whoever's fastest goes."] very true She might have been reading this thread... www.indystar.com/.../article
  • Nope, unless you're fast to begin with, that method doesn't work, I'm trying it for the 4th time!! I commented on the poll thread that for my .02 she is not doping...
  • New training methods are as follows: 1). Before every practice...Duct tape a 20lb watermelon (or frozen turkey) to your abdomen. Melon is probably more sanitary. 2.) Train hard for nine months. 3.) Remove the swimming anchor during the taper period. 4.) Fly like the wind. www.indystar.com/.../article Ugh. According to that article, she's got shoulder issues. I thought I previously had read that she did and, hence, no fly. But maybe this is why she's says she's taking it "one day at a time." I'd hate to see a shoulder issue cut her down.