Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    (4 surgeries? Can you still swim? Nerve damage --yikes. As for the muscle atrophy, have you looked in regenerative treatment? Keep fighting the good fight!) Yes, I still swim, keeps me sane. Haven't swam in a meet since Nationals May of 2003 when it was in Arizona. My last surgery was in December of 2003 and I have been pretty discoraged to compete since then. I am seriously considering swimming in meets again this fall and SC Nats in Austin. I am swimming pretty well, but hard not to compare where I was before my last surgery. I did push a 1:07 LCM 100 Back yesterday, was pretty happy about that, but remember when I could do 1:04s just a few years ago. Thanks for the encouragement, but no I haven't looked into "regenerative treatment" don't know what that is. Sounds like it could be fun though. ;)
  • Former Member
    Is also the simplest answer to swimming faster at, say 23 or 25, or 29, than at 20 also drugs? So therefore Neethling is a cheater, Phelps is a cheater, Schoeman is a cheater, Jones is a cheater, Keller is a cheater, Brunelli is a cheater, Lochte is a cheater, Vendt is a cheater, Swimstud is a cheater, Coughlin is a cheater, the list goes on and on… I think my LCM times will soon put an end to that theory... :drown::lmao:
  • Former Member
    From The Associated Press: If people were whispering behind Torres’ back when she was 33, imagine what they might say if he makes it to the Olympics in her 40s? Looking to cut off any rumors before they get started, she went to USA Swimming and asked to be subjected to extra testing, including blood work, in hopes of showing that she’s totally clean. In the past six weeks, Torres has been tested three times. “It’s a pain,” she said, “but it’s worth it for all the naysayers out there. Here are all my drug tests and they’re all negative. Those guys can say what they want, but here are the facts.” Let's drop it now, please. Here, here!
  • Former Member
    Do you have a hyperlink to that article?
  • Former Member
    Hey, the East Germans just found a more effective way of injecting testosterone into there female athletes. :rofl:
  • Former Member
    Soviet researchers in the 60’s and 70’s demonstrated improved athletic capacity in female athletes after giving birth. Some postpartum hormonal thing. Wow. While I am always looking for ways to improve my swimming performance, I don't think I'll be going to this extreme.... :eek: -
  • Former Member
    The circumstantial evidence against Bonds is overwhelming. Now that the international anti-doping committee is entertaining circumstantial evidence in its investigations it is likely he would be banned if he was an Olympian. In fact if he was an Olympian he would have potentially tested positive for his "unwitting" steroid use and be banned. MLB said steroids weren't OK but didn't test. He didn't test positive because they didn't test. Explain to me another way his head and feet could have continued to grow.:notworking: of course he was doing stuff, just like half of baseball. imo it's stupid to crucify bonds for just being a visible figurehead of an epidemic. IF he was an olympian doesn't really matter one iota-he's not, and he and every other player knew that and acted accordingly. baseball should just accept the 90's to early 00's as the steroid era, and test stringently from now on. just as many pitchers were juicing as hitters-why does the public only care about the hitters? and comparing bonds to vick-come on! the guy might be a jerk to the media and self-centered, but if he was on the roids he just wanted to be better at his sport and profession. although his (supposed) methods may be morally decrepit, they have nothing on vick's barbaric, inhumane sideshow.
  • Former Member
    Lie detector tests are used or used to be given in Bass Pro tournaments to make sure they did not cheat.... Say, pick three very credible lie detector companies and have someone who is "suspect" take three tests by highly credible companies. THe FBI/CIA utilizes these companies/tests within their agencies to keep tabs on agents after they found that one trader had given the USSR Top Secret information that got three of our undercover agent killed in Europe. Some of the new lie detectors (from what I read) are pretty dead on in "most" people. And again, I am not saying she took drugs.....
  • Former Member
    Lie detector tests are used or used to be given in Bass Pro tournaments to make sure they did not cheat.... Say, pick three very credible lie detector companies and have someone who is "suspect" take three tests by highly credible companies. THe FBI/CIA utilizes these companies/tests within their agencies to keep tabs on agents after they found that one trader had given the USSR Top Secret information that got three of our undercover agent killed in Europe. Some of the new lie detectors (from what I read) are pretty dead on in "most" people. And again, I am not saying she took drugs..... Wonderful. Why should Dara be subject to any more scrutiny than any of our other elite athletes in swimming? Does Michael Phelps need to take this lie detector test as well? Or is it only people who draw significant scrutiny from those on USMS.ORG?
  • Former Member
    SCYFreestyler, You are right. Let's give all the top finishers lie detector tests. I'd love to see the results. I find it interesting that Dara is now pretty much able to keep up with Rich Saeger, age 42, the fastest man in the world over 40. He was a peer of hers and also made the Olympics in 1984 on the 800 relay. He went a 50 point 100m freestyler back in college. After training for the masters world games last year he went a startling 1:55.0 for a 200m free and 53.4 for a 100m free. I would like to think that Rich has more testosterone flowing through his veins than a women of relatively equal age..... :-) John Smith