"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I'm looking to shatter 5:00 in the 500 which means pace work, swimming faster overall, and continuing to develop my turn and "press" on the water.
  • good luck, tell us a little more about yourself and your training ande I'm looking to shatter 5:00 in the 500 which means pace work, swimming faster overall, and continuing to develop my turn and "press" on the water.
  • just wanted to bump this Is anyone working on a breakthrough? forums.usms.org/showthread.php Ande
  • Always. At LC Nationals in Mission Viejo, a teammate (whom I don't like because of this) said to me, "Oh, you'll never swim your best times again. It's just part of getting old and having kids." Needless to say that totally p***ed me off. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting closer. As of Pacific Champs I need to: -drop 4 sec in the 100 back -8 in the 200 back -7 in the 100 *** -too many in the 200 ***! (12) I had a crappy race at PacChamps! -9 in the 200 IM -14 in the 400 IM Wow, writing that makes it seem unattainable, but I am determined to do it. I have no doubt that when the rest of this weight comes off, I will do it :) :blah: Yea, yea shut up and swim :thhbbb: ;)
  • Bump Ande, At nationals I had 2 pb's and 4 2nd best times. Upon re-evaluating my races and watching the videos of a few of my races, I can see some of the areas that I need to work on to improve. Here are the videos of my 50 fly and 50 free. What do you think? Any suggestions for improving? What do I need to do to have a breakthrough? My free hasn't improved in 2 years, but the fly is steadily dropping. I had a 0.4 drop in my pb for the 50 and even though I died badly in the 100 fly I also improved my pb by about 0.5s. 50 Free youtube.com/watch 50 Fly youtube.com/watch
  • 1:01.75 in the 100SCY free. Will be doing my first LCM meet in July and hope to go under 27 in the 50 free. I think I should be almost as fast as 50 SCY because I really stink at turns. Will post the results.
  • Thanks Ande and the rest of you for your comments. Since I swim alone without a coach or even a training partner, I need all the advice and feedback I can get from anyone I can get it from. Having started swimming just before I turned 50, I am relatively new to swimming and had no prior swimming background. I'm still learning things at 55 that most age group swimmers learned before they were 12 years old. You guys are my coaches. Again thanks! hey floyd, you asked "What do you think?" 50 free you got absolutely creamed on the start, streamline and break out It looks like you came up at lane 3's knees looked like you leisurely dove in to swim a 500 warm up you cranked up your stroke later but the race was over in the first 10 yards your turn was decent, your streamline/kick/break out off the turn was way better than off your start when you swim the 50 you need to be pissed off, tap your rage, rattle your cage, defend your life, make it a life or death situation save the life of someone you love get out of your head and into your gut flawlessly execute perfect technique get off the blocks fast and hard have a great entry and streamline tiny streamline glide then blast your legs, either free or SDK then break out swimming fast work on your Distance per stroke, you took 16 strokes on your first 25 and 21 on your 2nd 50 fly your start, streamline / breakout looked way better than your 50 free it doesn't look like you're kicking, your legs were barely moving, the folks beside you are making waves with their legs yours looked like you're pulling fly with straight legs
  • hey floyd, you asked "What do you think?" 50 free you got absolutely creamed on the start, streamline and break out It looks like you came up at lane 3's knees looked like you leisurely dove in to swim a 500 warm up you cranked up your stroke later but the race was over in the first 10 yards your turn was decent, your streamline/kick/break out off the turn was way better than off your start when you swim the 50 you need to be pissed off, tap your rage, rattle your cage, defend your life, make it a life or death situation save the life of someone you love get out of your head and into your gut flawlessly execute perfect technique get off the blocks fast and hard have a great entry and streamline tiny streamline glide then blast your legs, either free or SDK then break out swimming fast work on your Distance per stroke, you took 16 strokes on your first 25 and 21 on your 2nd 50 fly your start, streamline / breakout looked way better than your 50 free it doesn't look like you're kicking, your legs were barely moving, the folks beside you are making waves with their legs yours looked like you're pulling fly with straight legs Bump Ande, At nationals I had 2 pb's and 4 2nd best times. Upon re-evaluating my races and watching the videos of a few of my races, I can see some of the areas that I need to work on to improve. Here are the videos of my 50 fly and 50 free. What do you think? Any suggestions for improving? What do I need to do to have a breakthrough? My free hasn't improved in 2 years, but the fly is steadily dropping. I had a 0.4 drop in my pb for the 50 and even though I died badly in the 100 fly I also improved my pb by about 0.5s. 50 Free youtube.com/watch 50 Fly youtube.com/watch
  • 50 Free youtube.com/watch The main thing I see here is you need to get up and go! You lose time on the field primarily on the start. If you're going to do dolphin kicks, do a couple, but do them quickly and powerfully then get to the surface and start sprinting. Your stroke technique looks good. Maybe a tad flat, but it looks strong. The main thing I see to work on in your fly is that you're not getting much from your kick.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    In my last time trials I did the following times: Female- age 45 50 free .30.24 - last time was .30.77 50 back .34.4 last time was .35.34 100 free 1.06.66 last time was 1.08.24 I put in about 3 days a week swim practice, swimming about 2400 yds each. 1 of these days is swimming a faster pace being coached, trying to get in 1 day weights With summer coming and pool times changing I'm think of going in the mornings, 2 days a week at the "Y" swimming 3000yds each. For on month I think I can get 1 more day swimming with a coach doing about 2400 yds. Then I go 3 days...at the "Y" 2 afternoons easy swim with my daughter (she'snot a completive swimmer) 1 day a week weights. With this type work out can I hope for a break though of a 27 in my 50.? Currently I figure mathematically - I would only be able to do a 1.04 in my 100 free ( 30.4 X 2 + 4 = 1.04.8) correct? With a break though of a 27 I could possible be looking at .58 in my 100 free???