How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

Former Member
Former Member
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks
  • It is actually impossible to swim a mile breaststroke. Everyone knows that. There. Thread closed. how about we attempt to do this together? :afraid:
  • a mile is 5,280 feet or 1,760 yards That is 70.40 lengths of a 25 yard pool, or 35.2 50s or 17.6 100's 1 foot = 0.3048 meters so 5,280 x 0.3048 = 1,609.34 That's a lot of breastroke. It would be much easier in a 25 yard pool than it would in a 50 meter pool or even worse, open water. More pushoffs and pullouts would be better for me and most people. I recommend a relaxed sustainable pace with lots gliding between strokes. I think I could hold around 1:25 to 1:30 per 100 yards and 1:40 to 1:45 meters.
  • a mile is 5,280 feet or 1,760 yards ... That's a lot of breastroke. ...I think I could hold around 1:25 to 1:30 per 100 yards and 1:40 to 1:45 meters. I was really tempted to call your bluff on that claim... Now that I think about it more I guess it's believable for a strong swimmer. That's essentially 18x100 br on the 1:30 interval. It's way out of my league.
  • For fun I did a 28:36 for a 1650 *** stoke kick (regular board, no pulling on lane lines. only 1 accidental right arm pull, pushing the board to the side and reaching the wall with the right hand i.e. no pull with the board). I almost even split the entire 1650 this showed me that the main reason why I die in swimming is because of lack of oxygen.
  • I believe Jason Lassen actually swam the Catalina Channel all breaststroke, for a record. Now that's a whole lot of breaststroke!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    It takes too long to swim any distance using breaststroke.
  • On 24 August 1875, Captain Matthew Webb became the first person to swim the English Channel without the use of artificial aids. His time: 21 hours, 45 minutes; his stroke: "steady breaststroke."
  • I actually mostly swim Breaststroke - lately around 2 - 2.5 miles a day. In a 20-yard pool, my fastest 2.5 mile was in 1 hour 50 mins; my fastest 2- mile in a 25-yard pool was 91 mins (3550 yards)... Love the garmin HRM which also records my HR during swims.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The first person to swim the English channel did breaststroke.
  • Depends upon the breastroker, the pool or body of water where they swim the mile, and the percent effort they're expending. I bet the best male breastrokers, shaved and tapered could swim a mile, 1725 yards in a 25 yard pool holding under 1:05's probably faster than 18:40, they'd be considerably slower in a 50 meter pool where 1 mile is 1,609.344 meters, my guess is the best could hold 1:16's probably 20:40, They'd be a lot slower if they did it straight in open water with no turns. I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks