How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

Former Member
Former Member
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks
  • It doesn't make me feel superior at all. I'm sorry you are sensitive enough to be annoyed. It doesn't bother me at all to be bad at breaststroke - so bad its a big joke around here. I even raced 2 400 IMs this year for the sole purpose of entertaining my teammates. They heckled me while I struggled through the third leg. One of my buddies was in the next lane on a LCM 400 IM. He's 10 years older than I am, was 10 seconds behind me after the back and passed me by 1 second before the free. It was great fun for others to watch. Not my cup of tea, really. I don't get a kick out of seeing others struggle with a stroke. YMMV. I'm also not sure why you were insisting that you never said you couldn't swim breaststroke one minute and the next you are claiming we all should be laughing at you because you can't! I'd rather cheer you on as you work on getting better. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    The thing you don't seem to understand, Fresnoid, is that I have no need to put you (or your chosen events) down in order to feel ok about myself. I'm not particularly wonderful at backstroke or butterfly but I admire those who do those strokes well. When you fire off numerous posts about thinking breaststroke/breaststrokers are "mutants," "blundering," and "imbecilic," it is not a matter of our lack of fortitude, but of your lack of tact and impulse control. I'm sorry your feelings are hurt by good natured heckling. The adjectives used are intentionally extreme so it would be clearly not serious.
  • Former Member
    Whatever makes you feel good. My feelings aren't "hurt" but I do get annoyed at people who feel the need to relentlessly "heckle" in order to make themselves feel superior. You should know that intent is, for the most part, indiscernible over the internet. Whether your statements were "good natured" or "clearly not serious" is anything but obvious. Like I said, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I just can't imagine wasting my time on 3 or 4 posts that "good naturedly" heckle backstrokers just for kicks. :2cents: It doesn't make me feel superior at all. I'm sorry you are sensitive enough to be annoyed. It doesn't bother me at all to be bad at breaststroke - so bad its a big joke around here. I even raced 2 400 IMs this year for the sole purpose of entertaining my teammates. They heckled me while I struggled through the third leg. One of my buddies was in the next lane on a LCM 400 IM. He's 10 years older than I am, was 10 seconds behind me after the back and passed me by 1 second before the free. It was great fun for others to watch.
  • I was merely pointing out that up til then I had not yet said anything about my skills, so don't assume I'm a bitter "looser". The reason my struggles are funny is that when I'm in shape, I'm the fastest, hardest working freestyler at either of the clubs I train with. It really is entertaining to see someone I lap in a 300 during practice crush me by 11 seconds/100 in a different stroke. And I get a kick out of this too! I'm a breaststroker and I used to swim with a friend who was NOT. He is 6 years younger than me, male, and over a foot taller than me! He has previous competitive swimming experience, I do not. We used to always race our last lap (which the lifeguard would give him grief for because of his obvious advantage).. we had fun trying to figure out just how much of a lead he'd have to give me in order for me to win a 50 free race against him.. but I always kicked his butt when I could talk him into racing *** instead. :rofl:
  • Former Member
    Oh,so this is that trash talking I've heard about. I'm sorry but that concept is after my time:cane: .I have looked your times up and you have some respectable TTs.All in distance free,you might want to expand your focus.Once I even swam a 200 BK.The announcer made fun of me,but I won my age group(only entry,that's why I swam it.) See my previous post. Look up my splits from those 2 swims and prepare to laugh.
  • No, the lesson is that breaststroke is so different from normal swimming that it should be segregated as a separate sport, just like Rhythmic Gymnastics. For someone who can't swim breaststroke, you sure are obsessed with it...:banana: Perhaps some breaststroke-envy therapy is in order?
  • Former Member
    See my previous post. Look up my splits from those 2 swims and prepare to laugh. Wow. SCY 400 IM, May 6, 2012: Leg... Cumulative...Subtractive 1........ 31.94 ......... 31.94 2..... 1:08.59 ......... 36.65 3..... 1:50.97 ......... 42.38 4..... 2:32.74 ......... 41.77 5..... 3:24.66 ......... 51.92 6..... 4:16.37 ......... 51.71 7..... 4:49.40 ......... 33.03 8..... 5:21.42 ......... 32.02
  • Former Member
    Wow. SCY 400 IM, May 6, 2012: Leg... Cumulative...Subtractive 1........ 31.94 ......... 31.94 2..... 1:08.59 ......... 36.65 3..... 1:50.97 ......... 42.38 4..... 2:32.74 ......... 41.77 5..... 3:24.66 ......... 51.92 6..... 4:16.37 ......... 51.71 7..... 4:49.40 ......... 33.03 8..... 5:21.42 ......... 32.02 I was planning to hang close to Jim Clemmons in the next lane until the ***. Unfortunately I was sore from an unpleasant 1650 earlier in the afternoon. After the first 50, my goal changed to "finish without needing immediate medical attention". But what precision, even splitting the *** like that!
  • Former Member
    Not my cup of tea, really. I don't get a kick out of seeing others struggle with a stroke. YMMV. I'm also not sure why you were insisting that you never said you couldn't swim breaststroke one minute and the next you are claiming we all should be laughing at you because you can't! I'd rather cheer you on as you work on getting better. :) I was merely pointing out that up til then I had not yet said anything about my skills, so don't assume I'm a bitter "looser". The reason my struggles are funny is that when I'm in shape, I'm the fastest, hardest working freestyler at either of the clubs I train with. It really is entertaining to see someone I lap in a 300 during practice crush me by 11 seconds/100 in a different stroke.
  • Former Member
    OK enough with the threadjacking. I apologize to anyone who was offended by my over the top criticism of breaststroke. It was intended to incite some creative trash talking a la sprint vs. distance.