How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

Former Member
Former Member
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    As a breaststroker, the idea of a swimming a mile non-stop is simply abhorrent. Short course the challenge would be one of breathing often enough. Long course would just be miserable, in every conceivable way.
  • Funny this thread popped back up. A couple weeks ago I swam a mile breaststroke open in an open water event (lake). Normally I wouldn't do such a thing but I was able to raise a considerable sum pretty quickly for *** Cancer research by volunteering to swim the mile in my pink suit, ***, without a wetsuit (water was still kinda cool for me) if I hit my fundraising goal in two days. I did, so I swam it ***. There were no timing chips used and I took it out at a relaxed but steady pace and I finished in 33 minutes according to my watch. Currently if I was to go out for a 100 SCY, I would expect to hit around 1:23. I could have done that mile faster but not normally swimming that much consistent *** with no walls, my plan was to go out and have fun without hitting the virtual wall.
  • I swam a couple of open water swims breaststroke during the last Australian OW season. One was a bit shorter than a mile (1.2km), one a bit longer (1.8km). I was swimming to finish, not for a time/place, but my pace approximately equivalent to 35 min/mile. No wetsuit. My BR sort of sucks because I can't kick for nuts.
  • Funny this thread popped back up. A couple weeks ago I swam a mile breaststroke open in an open water event (lake). Normally I wouldn't do such a thing but I was able to raise a considerable sum pretty quickly for *** Cancer research by volunteering to swim the mile in my pink suit, ***, without a wetsuit (water was still kinda cool for me) if I hit my fundraising goal in two days. I did, so I swam it ***. There were no timing chips used and I took it out at a relaxed but steady pace and I finished in 33 minutes according to my watch. Currently if I was to go out for a 100 SCY, I would expect to hit around 1:23. I could have done that mile faster but not normally swimming that much consistent *** with no walls, my plan was to go out and have fun without hitting the virtual wall. That's awesome, M! Way to go!! :applaud:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I am a newbie to swimming long distance (1st mile June 8th 2016). What I have discovered is that the breaststroke is the perfect stroke for long distance swimming. I have never raced before - but for me this is a swim not a race. Last week I swam a 5 mile ocean course using mainly the breaststroke. It took roughly three hours. I was able to jog back the distance after getting out of the water. It feels like the breaststroke allows for better muscle recovery, my heart rate was much lower than when I swim freestlyle and it allows for better breathe capacity when the ocean waves are unpredictable.