How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

Former Member
Former Member
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    For someone who can't swim breaststroke, you sure are obsessed with it...:banana: Perhaps some breaststroke-envy therapy is in order? Where did I say in this thread that I can't swim it? Whether I can or cannot is irrelevant regarding the vile nature of that blundering imbecilic stroke.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Actually, I am going to be 69 on Sunday. I swam breaststroke (the old-fashioned kind, with a frog-kick, although I sometimes did 3-4 strokes underwater) when I was younger, for a mile, and really don't remember my time. Then I had a series of health disasters, ending with a very successful back surgery in April. On Sunday, I went to the local Y and swam for the first time since 1981. I did the breaststroke for one mile. It took me about an hour, but it was effortless. I wasn't even breathing hard at the end. I'm not interested in speed -- just distance. Doing the old-fashioned breaststroke for a mile is so soothing. I felt as if I were 30 again. I'd love to do it in open water. I feel certain I could do five miles easily.
  • There may be hope You just need to learn proper technique Yep, that's right! Denise, one way to learn technique is to watch videos of Masters swimmers who are swimming it correctly. The reason I say "Masters" is because our older knees probably can't kick as narrow as Olympians do without a repetitive stress injury. :toohurt:In addition, our shoulders probably can't pull as wide! Check out this awesome race :applaud: by King Frog (in the black cap) when he broke the Masters World Record on the 200m Breaststroke in 2011. (By the way, he broke the record again at the World Champions this year.) :bow:: youtu.be/Sb0qr4BTMl0
  • Yep, that's right! Denise, one way to learn technique is to watch videos of Masters swimmers who are swimming it correctly. Good point, Elaine! I started swimming when I was 7 years old, but it wasn't until I was in college when I watched a teammate swim breaststroke, that I finally figured it out. :blush: :doh: Before then, it was a crap shoot whether or not I would get DQ'd in a race. In fact, a few rule changes in the 80's actually helped me out in that regard. :drown:
  • some of us are hopeless. this morning i swam next to an olympic breaststroker and multi-time ncaa champion. it doesnt matter how much i watch him, i cant do what he does. and how long does it take me to swim 1 mile of breaststroke? i am hoping another 48 years to still not finish. :D
  • some of us are hopeless. this morning i swam next to an olympic breaststroker and multi-time ncaa champion. it doesnt matter how much i watch him, i cant do what he does. and how long does it take me to swim 1 mile of breaststroke? i am hoping another 48 years to still not finish. :D :bighug: It's ok, Steve, we can't all be frogs. You're PLENTY fast in everything else, so I'll give you a pass on breaststroke!;)
  • According to the coach I swam with last week, my breaststroke is the equivalent of treading water across the pool. :cry::dunno: Hopeless, just hopeless.
  • According to the coach I swam with last week, my breaststroke is the equivalent of treading water across the pool. :cry::dunno: Hopeless, just hopeless. There may be hope You just need to learn proper technique
  • It is actually impossible to swim a mile breaststroke. Everyone knows that. There. Thread closed.
  • I did 3000 LCM breaststroke on Valentine's Day this year (my coach has good sense of humor) It was 57:18 for 3000m (1500m was 28:53). I know time would be better for SCM, but... Jeff's time 36 for 3000m - that's just unbelievable! :shock: Goodness 1:18 that's my time for 100 LCM all out!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: