How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

Former Member
Former Member
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks
  • When I was 23, I did a 3,000-meter breaststroke (long course) three times a year. My fastest was 36 minutes. That's 18 minutes for a mile. I didn't negative split. I held 1:18 per 100 for the middle 2500. I don't recommend it unless you have a lengthy song catalogue in your head.
  • Jeff's times are unreal. I can hold 1:18 per 100M LCM for 1X100 shaved and tapered if I'm lucky. I haven't swum over 400 breastsroke since college but for 400 SCY I can keep at 1:30 per 100. I plan to do an open water 1 mi. swim all breaststroke next summer so I can let you know how that comes out(unless I have a sudden attack of sanity before then.)
  • Aren't there some crazy swimmers around called "butternuts" who do lots of open water fly?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Well I'll be gobsmacked! Jeff, that is just disgustipating. If I had been swimming laps while you streaked by doing your 3000 I think I would have got out & quietly left & got drunk. I bet you then went up to any sprint butterfliers you knew and innocently remarked "I just did 3000 of my best stroke in 36min. What's your time for fly?"
  • Former Member
    Before I taught myself to swim freestyle, I swam the 1650 breaststroke. At the 1994 USMS Nationals, when I was 52, my time for the mile was 26:22.09. As Peter Cruise knows, my next goal is to do the mile all fly... -- mel
  • Why swim a mile (using any stroke)? You guys are nuts! Now if there were lots of :drink: at the end, I might consider it.
  • Former Member
    Before I taught myself to swim freestyle, I swam the 1650 breaststroke. At the 1994 USMS Nationals, when I was 52, my time for the mile was 26:22.09. As Peter Cruise knows, my next goal is to do the mile all fly... -- mel Don't make me cry, I can do the 1650 in around 23 minutes, free. I wouldn't mind trying to do the 1650 fly though, might be fun. I did do a 1000 IM last year just for fun, maybe this year I'll try the 1650 fly. Great, thanks for the poor idea that I'll never get out of my head.
  • Former Member
    Never tried it but did swim 22 miles crawl in 2 hours with the river current in the Saguenay River.
  • My guess is there are very few people here who have actually done a mile breaststroke nonstop, so you've got us beat pretty much by default! ... Jeff excluded, of course, but I bet he's not doing many 3,000 meter breasts for time these days!
  • Based on my current daily yardage of breastroke, I would say a mile would take me 7-8 months.