What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    When I was diving I would take my SCUBA stuff to a pool just to make sure all the equip worked OK after being in storage, rather than to fly out only to find that something was busted and interfere with my enjoyment of the dive trip. The certification class I took had a few people who were not strong swimmers and they had problems learning how to clear water from their mask, equalize pressure in their ears, breathe through a snorkel/regulator and get comfortable about swimming. They need to do this while they in a protected environment. Some needed extra pool sessions outside class before they were ready to venture out into open water where they couldn't see the bottom or land, there were waves and currents, plants/animals brushing against you, etc. I knew a guy that would wear his snorkel and mask into a hot tub and "look". That was creepy.
  • Former Member
    I realize these may have been covered before but hey it my turn to sound off. Cheaters, if you want to keep up, swim faster. Comedians, I don't like jokes before, during and after every set. I am sort of anti social when I swim since I am there to work not goof off. People who cannot cirlce swim or who say they are but continue down the middle of the lane. I am so conditioned to circle swimming I do it if I am in a lane by myself. Got Boost
  • Former Member
    Theres actually a guy at my college who swims everyday for the two hour open swim, and he really isnt a pet peeve of mine, but it's just humerous, because he is larger, and not a strong swimmer, but he has such fortitude and he just moves soooo slowly. I can EASILY do a 200kick to every 50 swim he does. But he's pretty good about it, he always takes a wall lane, but it would be impossible for anyone to swim with him if it did get crowded, luckily it doesn't ever, even with only 4lanes. But yeah I totally understand some of these peeves.
  • Former Member
    People who don't have to train much to be good and look good. People who train very little and complain about health problems. Swimmers who hate triathletes. People who think they have all the answers and never compromise. People who don't appreciate inane humor. :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse::joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:
  • Former Member
    People who suck at flip turns and either 1) RUN INTO YOU!!! or 2) They don't go anywhere off their turn and I run into THEM because they don't push off right or kick underwater.I'm not good at flipturns myself but thats why I get pissed because I can't work on them when I am running into someone if I properly streamline.
  • Former Member
    I swim at a health club - the lockers closest to the pool are where the "hiders" like to change, because they are the farthest from anything else. My peeve is when the "hiders" get all snitty about us dripping on the carpet . . . there are 8 other banks of lockers - go find somwhere dry and stop giving me the death glare!
  • I have several including: People that lie about their times (and lie in general) - when you know you only finished a couple seconds behind your lanemate yet they tell you their time was 10 (or 15) seconds faster ... People that loaf through workout until the last set then ride your booty ... People that push off from their flip turns down the middle of the pool or swim down the middle ... Lanemates that insist I lead IM sets when they know they will catch me easily on breaststroke Breaststroke Swimmers that think they know everything about the sport and want to tell you all they know in a condescending manner ...
  • Former Member
    Yesterday I tried out a new health club near my house on a guest pass. It sounded so good ... 5 minutes drive, open 5 am to midnight weekdays, 8-8 weekends ... 25 yard pool with laneropes and stripe on the bottom ... promised 82F temp ... hottub ... plus the usual accoutrements of free weights and aerobic equip and weight machines. The fees were reasonable. I was hoping to cancel a membership at another club and join the new place. It was a little disappointing. The stripe on the bottom of the pool had no "T" at the end and went all the way up to the wall so I almost bonked my head on the first turn. There was nothing on the ceiling / no flags for backstrokers. No pace clock or wall clock with a second hand. I would swear the temps were more like 86F. The laneropes were very loose where they weren't very effective -- and it appeared to be because the pool was actually a little short of 25y long. There were no gutters so it was sloshy. They've handled the "noodler" problem by not allowing lap swimming during the Aqua-Aerobics class "for safety reasons". Happily right now that's only during the day when I'm at work anyhow. For very little cost, they could have done the tiled stripes correctly, hung either backstroke flags or some ceiling "decoration", and hung a paceclock on the wall. Why do people spend all that money to put in a pool and not do it right for people that actually want to swim in it? There were a lot of plusses - the lockerrooms were great, everything was clean, and there were large windows so it wasn't like being confined in a box. But I'm really going to have to think about it. I'll take my own portable paceclock and see if I get yelled at for breaking some rule and try it again. :) The worst part is that solitary black-line patrol is just so much less fun than having a coach and teammates.
  • Former Member
    I have a new one now. People who profess to have all the answers to everyone's swimming problems but they don't but say they do. And they are terrible listeners also. Grrrrrr......This is why advice is free. Watch a good swimmer and ask questions. Donna
  • Former Member
    Only two: People who dont let you pass when you touch their feet/toes People who (loudly) complain about the next workout/seriesOver and out /Per