What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
  • Pools that seem never to have considered the fact that adult competitive swimmers need to practice their starts just like kids do. Amen to that! Although, I think I may have remedied this situation on Friday for myself. I happened to be getting in to the pool as the senior age groupers were getting out. I asked the coach about this, and asked if she knew a time when I could occassionally get in some starts. She has politely offered to do starts with me during the last 15 minutes of her age group practice (presumably her age groupers will be doing starts then, too). Now, I am a morning swimmer due to my crazy schedule but will have to show up in the evenings to get some starts in. I'm really excited - I get to start starts tomorrow! Yay! One small Victory! :woot:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Sometimes people get in the fast lane because the other lanes with slower pace may be packed with people. If this is case, just do what my coach says. Forget the toe tapping to let them know you are behind them and want to pass, go for the ankles and grab them and pull them under. greg HAAHAHA :notworthy:
  • This might fall in the "what are they doing?!" category but it's also a pet peeve of mine. Our pool opens to the public at 5:30am. I get there some mornings before 4:30 to swim with the age group team. In the parking lot, waiting for the pool to open to the public is a mom and her adult daughter. They sit there waiting for over an hour for the pool to open. And then around 5:20 they stand outside the glass doors leaning on them waiting for them to be unlocked. They do all this to water walk for 15-20 minutes. I just don't get it. Oh, and there is a back way into the pool which masters sometimes take to go to the bathroom before the pool opens. This mom and her daughter will "turn you in" if you do this, even though you've paid to be there, just like them. Alison
  • Former Member
    People who do a nice, slow, "monkey, aeroplane, soldier," on their back in the fast lane...well any "lap" lane...that's not swimming...that's lounging...just rest at the shallow end for a breather or get in the open swim with the floral swimming cap brigade!! :shakeshead:
  • Former Member
    Struggling with a stomach virus and forcing yourself to go swim... Getting ejected from an indoor pool halfway through your workout because of lightning and thunder... Then waiting 30 minutes in the showers in vain hope they re-open.... Finally giving up and leaving to see barely a drop of rain outside and seeing the lighting on the horizon... :( I did get a 100 of front crawl in though without too much drowning...50 was a struggle just last week
  • Former Member
    people that ask if they can share a line, then pull out their hand pads, snorkel and giant flippers! and do backstroke in the middle of the lane. arrrrggg!
  • When your pool is shut down every weekend in December for USS meets and all your Thursday-Sunday practices are cancelled. As an alternative, your coach informs you that you come to the college team practices at 5:00am. :shakeshead:
  • When the city pool closes from Thanksgiving to New Years for "maintenance and Cleaning" and every time I drive by no one is there....no pool staff, no contractors, no city maintenance personnel, etc. & etc. Maybe they're working at night?
  • Former Member
    Oh, oh, here's a good one! What about Scuba Divers?? Anyone know what I'm talking about? They come in, in their neoprene wetsuits, HUGE masks, ...that's right, MASKS, (I hardly call 'em goggles if they're HUGE) and snorkels... "...Ooh, we're snorkeling... IN A POOL!" Who does that?! I'd understand if it were at a reef where colorful fish dwell... But a Pool?!! *Speaks in Jacques Gusteau Accent* "Ah yes, wee see ze raire femaile swimmaire in hair beautiful black, red and orange Speedo, swimming ze majestic breaststroke.... Du not get too close, or she'll see you and zen slap you." GIMMIE A BREAK!!! Snorkeling is for tourists who want to see fish in reefs, not female swimmers in skin tight Speedo's! Oy! hey hey, we gotta learn somewhere!!! I'm taking my SCUBA licensing class currently, and I am very glad to be in a pool learning how to turn all the gidgets and gadgets on instead of thrown off the back of some boat doing the same!!:laugh2: So yeah I swim my 10000yards then go to scuba diving class. that pool loves me.
  • Former Member
    I did my first scuba lessons at a resort and the first hour or so were in a pool, shared by water volley-ball players and whatnot. My first lesson: the fatter your are the more weight you will be hauling down the beach to the water, i.e. ten per cent of your weight will be added onto a belt. Once in the water everything evens out, except for you darn oxygen comsumption (I know it is compressed air, I am talking a cellular level). The fatter you are the less time you spend under water with the same bottle as the rest of the gang. Okay, I eventually go to the local pool where I practice, and at noon, when nobody is there, I will put on masks and snorkels and fins and do some leg drills without having to go up for air all the time. I also might use swimming goggles and a snorkel and do some swimming to try and fix my freestyle. Usually in the huge swimming facilities the scuba classes are done in the diving (as in Greg Louganis diving) part of the pool. Pet peeve: my paid health club is open 24 hours every day, except for the swimming pool which closes between Saturday afternoon and early Monday morning to do the chlorine and other stuff they usually do at swimming pools. Oh, it also closes at 9 P.M. billy fanstone