Speedo or TYR?

I am curious to what your preferences are regarding Speedo or TYR products (or other). I myself am a Speedo girl, and always have been. However, I recently bought a discounted TYR reversible suit for practice and it lasted way longer than any Speedo ever has. I'm tempted to buy TYR again, but do I dare switch loyalties? I like Speedo styles better - I've never been big on brand names at all, except when it comes to swimming - there's just something about Speedo.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I'm definately a Speedo girl myself!
  • Former Member
    Arena! Their polyester suits are often available on clearance for $32 and fit well and last forever. And they make a latex cap that is very thin for those of us stuck in warmish pools!!! I also like their silicone caps for summer chilly water outdoors ... come to think of it everything I've gotten from them has been great (goggles, bag, noseclips) .... www.teamarena.com just saying.
  • For myself, I have to say Tyr. The suit in the chest area is a little higher so there is less of a chance of a "wardrobe malfunction" or what we call a jail break, at the end of an open water swim. The speedo's just don't have enough material up top.....
  • Former Member
    When IBM first came out with their PCs, there was a joke to the effect that a significant fraction of the price was for the IBM name plate. It appears to me that the same is true of Speedo products. They are, in my experience, good in quality, but more expensive than comparable products made by their competitors. I currently use Nike suits. Bob
  • Former Member
    I have a Speedo suit that is lasting a long time. I think it is polyester. I don't really have a preference though. I just happened to be at Sports Authority and two of them were on the clearance rack in my size. I think they were "outdated" as far as the looks go. But since I am a fashion disaster anyway, I bought them - they were about $15 each. I do have a pair of Barracuda goggles that I love. I would not use anything else at this point. They are very comfortable, they don't leak, I don't have to clamp them down tight at all and I don't get much of the rings from them.
  • Former Member
    I have found a pair of Speedo goggles that are comfortable, hypoallergenic, and don't leak, so I stick with those. As for swim suits - whatever the grab bag sends me or whatever is on sale that fits and isn't a really yucky color.
  • Former Member
    I don't really care what I use, though I tend to buy Speedo stuff. I usually find it on sale so I only pay 20-30 for a suit any way. I have also found that Speedo makes the only type of goggles that fit me very well. I did buy a pair of Tyr goggles that I liked and used only for meets, but the damn strap broke at my third meet with them. The anti fog was still working and the strap broke.
  • Former Member
    I'm a mix... I like Speedo and Nike suits, Speedo googles, and TYR swim caps. I guess I've just developed my favorites over the years through trial and error!
  • Former Member
    NIKE! They are our team supplier.
  • Former Member
    I like the length of the speedo jammer better than the tyr, but I like the compression of the tyr better than the speedo. In the end, the speedo, if a bit more comfortable, but I just don't like the shininess of the suit. Maybe the polyester will do the trick. Googles are the speedo vanquisher all the way. Tyr makes a similar goggle, but I like speedo's the best. Hook'em Blue