Speedo or TYR?

I am curious to what your preferences are regarding Speedo or TYR products (or other). I myself am a Speedo girl, and always have been. However, I recently bought a discounted TYR reversible suit for practice and it lasted way longer than any Speedo ever has. I'm tempted to buy TYR again, but do I dare switch loyalties? I like Speedo styles better - I've never been big on brand names at all, except when it comes to swimming - there's just something about Speedo.
  • Originally posted by butterflybeer I have a difficult time understanding why people buy 2 or 3 suits at a time. Do they lose them? Do they out grow them? Do they need a different color and/or new suit every few months? This would be like saying you don't understand why anyone needs more than one pair of pants. OK, not quite, but some people don't want to wear the same suit every day. This reminds me, does anyone else get a kick out of the laundry tag on swim suits? It says something like "wash after every use." Yeah, right!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Originally posted by butterflybeer I have a difficult time understanding why people buy 2 or 3 suits at a time. Do they lose them? Do they out grow them? Do they need a different color and/or new suit every few months? I've been to swimming workshops and camps in which we had two pool sessions every day. So if I hadn't had two suits, I would have had the unpleasant experience of trying to put on a sopping wet swimsuit for the second session every day.
  • Former Member
    Some pools have a suit spinner that pretty much dries a suit right there at the pool. Imagine what would happen if you left your suit in your car overnight in January in Alberta and had early morning practice the next day. If you are ever faced with this problem, my advice is to put your suit under the warm tap to thaw it out. It makes it much more pleasant to put on afterward.
  • Speedo suits, TYR goggles and caps!
  • Former Member
    A worse problem would be leaving it all wadded up in the car in 90 degree heat. It smells! I like having a variety of colors of suits. I have the polyester standbyes that wear a long time, but if I see a lycra for 20.00, I grab it and those wear out rather quickly. It is always nice to have an extra suit when you get to the pool, look at the bottom of your suit and realize it would be a bit to sheer to wear out in the open!
  • Former Member
    Im with Meli! I like Speedo and Nike swim suits, speedo googles, and TYR caps!
  • Former Member
    I, sadly, own both. Yes, it's true. I love my Speedo, but the TYR was on sale last week and it was calling my name. They are both hanging on the shower curtain right now, but with a towel between them :)
  • My Tyr suits' material consistently lasts longer than Speedo. I think our pool uses anti-Speedo pool chemicals. But, I was told the materials used are pretty much the same. I wonder: Has anyone ever noticed a difference in degradation of suits while swimming in different pools?
  • Former Member
    Definitely Nike...they last three times longer than Speedo, Tyr, and Arena.
  • I have to agree with Wayne. I have a Nike lycra suit that is over 2 years old and, although stretched out, it is still going strong. My Speedo's wear out in 3 months!