25 yards and 25 meters - where are we going with this ?

Former Member
Former Member
I've spent a little time looking over this site to find out how much I don't know about the current Masters Swimming scene. And also, what I might be able to do to become competitive. Something quite new seems to be races that are only one-length of a short-course pool. 25 Yards and 25 Meters. Where is the organization going with that ? Will they be considered for Top-Ten rankings ? How did it get started ? Old-N-Slow
  • I stand corrected, but doesn't that mean the block is back from the finish by the lenth of the pad? Also, I have seen blocks that were a little crooked so the you were farther forward on one side than the other.
  • I stand corrected, but doesn't that mean the block is back from the finish by the lenth of the pad? It does, but I guess as long as the blocks are consistently mounted that way it's not a big deal. It is sort of funny if you think about it. Pools have to be constantly measured to make sure they meet the requirements, but who's checking the blocks? I bet no one would even notice if the blocks were mounted an inch forward from the edge of the pool.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Or, the 25's could be run with watches and pushbuttons.
  • Because you are taking it from the side with the block, which has a wall that is back the requisite amount to be legal distance with the pad and moving it to the other end that does not have that allowance. It would work if you then moved the block back the requisit amount, which would be a lot of work. I think this is incorrect, Allen. The blocks are set flush to the end walls with no provision for pad thickness. Here's the statement from USA Swimming's rulebook: The front edge of the starting platform shall be flush with the face of the end walls.
  • Typically the referee will inspect all starting blocks for wiggle, overhang, angle and height. Do they now? I've been on some unsettelingly wiggly blocks.
  • Do they now? I've been on some unsettelingly wiggly blocks. You could say that on the subject of how tight the blocks need to be anchored to the wall, there is some "wiggle room."
  • Pools have to be constantly measured to make sure they meet the requirements, but who's checking the blocks? I bet no one would even notice if the blocks were mounted an inch forward from the edge of the pool.Typically the referee will inspect all starting blocks for wiggle, overhang, angle and height.
  • Former Member
    If the U.S. abandoned the imperial system like the rest of the world did, this madness wouldn't happen. In the rest of the world, when we say 100 race it is unambiguously 100 m race, but in the U.S. we need to check the pool used is in yards or meters first!
  • Former Member
    The US wants to Make Imperial Great Again. "Metric is a total disaster. That I can tell you. Sad!"
  • If the U.S. abandoned the imperial system like the rest of the world did, this madness wouldn't happen. In the rest of the world, when we say 100 race it is unambiguously 100 m race, but in the U.S. we need to check the pool used is in yards or meters first!True, but then 90% of our pools couldn't be used for swim meets.