25 yards and 25 meters - where are we going with this ?

Former Member
Former Member
I've spent a little time looking over this site to find out how much I don't know about the current Masters Swimming scene. And also, what I might be able to do to become competitive. Something quite new seems to be races that are only one-length of a short-course pool. 25 Yards and 25 Meters. Where is the organization going with that ? Will they be considered for Top-Ten rankings ? How did it get started ? Old-N-Slow
  • The 25's are all in fun...(for now!) :banana:
  • I don't think they count for anything official. They're usually just novelty events at beginner-type meets.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I'm a slow newbie shmuck, but I love having a 25m day on Thursdays. It takes me about 18.5sec on a good day. Hey, that's a lot of seconds!! The 25m is meaningful to me. I'd love to know what the WR is for 25m. In that 20.26sec 50m SC video, I think they hit the wall at just under 10sec, but that is flip turning vice reaching. I suspect 9.5sec? I see 25m at some meets around my area, but they don't officially count, or show up in results. Hail 25m!!
  • Because for 3 of the strokes, it would be 90% the same event - underwater dolphin kicks to 15m and then three strokes. Because in swimming, the fastest you are going is off the blocks, as opposed to running where that's the slowest you are going during the race.
  • Former Member
    I come from a running background. The shortest running race in the Olympics, 100m, lasts around 10sec. There are 60m races at the World Indoor Championships, lasting around 6sec. It seems that 100m swimming was the shortest distance at the Olympics for many years, right? 50m is relatively new. I have to say that, given the above, I'm baffled that 25m is not an official SC FINA event. Why should something lasting a whole 20sec (for the very best) be the shortest event? The 25m would present us with a very elite group at sub 10sec. Aren't those numbers wonderful? It's a lost opportunity to not have this as a Thing!! I shall start a movement. The 25m seriously needs to be an official SC event. Suggestions for names? As soon as 1000 people approve, I shall contact FINA.
  • Um, why not just move the pads from the starting end to the other end for the 25 yard/meter events? Because you are taking it from the side with the block, which has a wall that is back the requisite amount to be legal distance with the pad and moving it to the other end that does not have that allowance. It would work if you then moved the block back the requisit amount, which would be a lot of work.
  • Um, why not just move the pads from the starting end to the other end for the 25 yard/meter events? Also if the pool is set up where a bulkhead is the "opposite end" of the pool, you may now have the electrical connections or extensions to be able to have the pads "live" in the water. I know the University of Arkansas Little Rock pool (where most local meets are held around here) is not set up to do this. Now the flip-side is that pool has blocks on the bulkhead AND at the deck end of the pool, so moving pads actually wouldn't be necessary, but not all pools are lucky enough to have that set up.
  • Former Member
    Because for 3 of the strokes, it would be 90% the same event - underwater dolphin kicks to 15m and then three strokes. Because in swimming, the fastest you are going is off the blocks, as opposed to running where that's the slowest you are going during the race. Hmmmm.....ok. :)
  • And the added cost of touch pads at both ends would rule this out for almost every meet. Does this mean the pool must be reengineered for the added inch of touch pad?
  • And the added cost of touch pads at both ends would rule this out for almost every meet. Does this mean the pool must be reengineered for the added inch of touch pad? Um, why not just move the pads from the starting end to the other end for the 25 yard/meter events?