Video Analysis - Butterfly

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, any suggestions for improvement on my butterfly would be appreciated! Here's a video of my butterfly from underwater; vimeo.com/259482275 Over the top: vimeo.com/259482131 And lastly a static video starting off with one arm drills, and full stroke beginning around 1:28: vimeo.com/259364445 Thanks in advance for your time,
Parents
  • Ellaine K, I would love to hear the explanation of how dropping your head sooner speeds your recovery and results in less splash. It makes no sense to me. Age is immaterial. For fly, I would rather see the head higher longer than shorter A coach who looked at my video said I was keeping my head up too high and for too long on the breath. He thought that for me with my past neck and shoulder injuries/thoracic outlet syndrome surgery (land-based; not from swimming), he thought if I lowered my head and neck earlier, it would physically be easier for me to get my arms around. Therefore, if it's easier and more comfortable, I will be able to get them around faster. I tried it, and for my particular physical issues, he was right. It wasn't long after that advice I was able to swim a 2,000 yard butterfly to qualify for the Butternuts: www.grinswim.org/.../butternuts.html . As for the splash, I'm still working on landing my hands softer once they get to where they need to be! P.S. If you want a good laugh, this is a current clip of my horrid fly. :lmao: I'm a breaststroker who likes to swim 200 fly and 400 IM as my add-on events at meets. I would love to be able to swim fly as well as arrieros! Any suggestions, in addition to changing my breathing, would be most appreciated! www.youtube.com/watch &index=46
  • Ellaine K, I would love to hear the explanation of how dropping your head sooner speeds your recovery and results in less splash. It makes no sense to me. Age is immaterial. For fly, I would rather see the head higher longer than shorter A coach who looked at my video said I was keeping my head up too high and for too long on the breath. He thought that for me with my past neck and shoulder injuries/thoracic outlet syndrome surgery (land-based; not from swimming), he thought if I lowered my head and neck earlier, it would physically be easier for me to get my arms around. Therefore, if it's easier and more comfortable, I will be able to get them around faster. I tried it, and for my particular physical issues, he was right. It wasn't long after that advice I was able to swim a 2,000 yard butterfly to qualify for the Butternuts: www.grinswim.org/.../butternuts.html . As for the splash, I'm still working on landing my hands softer once they get to where they need to be! P.S. If you want a good laugh, this is a current clip of my horrid fly. :lmao: I'm a breaststroker who likes to swim 200 fly and 400 IM as my add-on events at meets. I would love to be able to swim fly as well as arrieros! Any suggestions, in addition to changing my breathing, would be most appreciated! www.youtube.com/watch &index=46
Children
No Data