Spending the winter sick? Join the Pity Party! Woot!

I am so annoyed with the frequency of viruses this winter. I'm trying to get myself ready for my first 10K swim this summer and building a nice base but I just keep getting hit with what feels like every virus known to man. I know it's not overtraining it's just simply that I've got a kindergartener, I've been volunteering with all those boogers once every two weeks, and I have been needing to visit the pedi with an older child for a chronic condition. So, the whole family keeps catching new and "fun" things. I'm trying to keep my spirits up about adapting and missing training but it's tough when I have to miss so many days and then have so many easy days on top of it while my body fully heals. I'd be just rolling with the punches if I didn't have such a large goal lined up for this summer. I really am keeping my spirits up because I don't need added stress or worrying or getting nervous. But I know I must not be the only one in the middle of winter sickie blues and others might like to join the pity party. :cake::party2:
  • :bighug: Sorry to hear the bad news, 'tall! Just try to do what you can to strengthen your immune system. Plenty of rest, good sleep, proper diet, and constant hand-washing are in order! Good luck!
  • Thanks Elaine! I really do know the drill and am doing my best. But I appreciate the encouragement! :) Renie - I agree this Northeast viruses are just a doozy this year. There's a strain of flu going around here that was either not in the vaccine or is vaccine resistant. I didn't think it was flu but the kids had so many days in a row of fever I had to take them in, strep test was negative but they asked to test flu and it came back positive. I think that's what I have now. Same set of symptoms as the kids had last week. Take it slow getting back in. No need to rush to catch up and make things worse! I'm glad you get to leave the party soon. Don't forget to have a piece of cake! :cake: Haha!
  • And we had kids --- why??? OH YEAH they are fun! Get healthy and you have lots of time for distance.
  • I'm in the party. We care for our grandkids one day a week. Last year(fall of 2015-Spring 2016) was our grand daughter's first year in pre-school and I had one virus after another the whole time. This fall I was doing fine even though my grandson started at the same school/petri dish.Early December I got a bad cold, but it was after SCM season and I wasn't too upset. Come January and I'm ready to get started and the pools are closed due to the snow. That finally cleared and I was just starting to feel progress when I got the aforementioned "doozy", which I still have. I'm not going to SCY Nats since our third grandchild is due that weekend,so I may cut back my goals for training this cycle.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    mtall, please let me join your party! I don't have a goal like yours, but I am beside myself over how sick I've been the last two months. first I was dx'd with pneumonia, then followed on the tail of pneumonia with bronchitis. I did not exercise for almost 2 weeks - in the last 30 years I have only ever gone 5 days straight without exercising. The thing is, I had minimal symptoms after the pneumonia cleared up (which I've never had before), other than extreme fatigue. I just knew I couldn't swim, and it took weeks before I could get up enough energy to go back to the gym and do weights and biking. I had my swim gear in the car, on my way to the ENT, all set to swim after almost 8 weeks of no pool, when he said I had a serious sinus infection - no swimming. Back on the third round of antibiotics and prednisone. this was tough for me, since I normally steer clear of taking antibiotics. Whatever is going around here on the East Coast is very resistant to the normal recovery period and medications. I had my first swim this week and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Get better soon. I teach youngsters and also part time babysit a toddler, and kids are constantly absent due to fevers, colds, stomach virus, you name it. Even the parents have been cancelling kids' lessons because they are so sick.
  • That's a bummer, Allen. Hope you get out from under it quickly! After coaching and getting some admin work done at the pool, I actually left the pool without swimming. I never do that. It was painful to leave. But I felt the most I'd be able to do was maybe 250y and wasn't sure if it would make things worse. Hoping I'm better off to see if I'm better a bit tomorrow I could do 1,000-2,000 EZ (15-30 minutes). Probably best, I ended up coming home and sleeping three hours in the middle of the day. My husband just brought pretzels and m&ms to my pity party. Maybe not the best thing with a reduced workout load but mmmmm....salty sweet. I think this party might need a movie. Something funny.
  • Comfort food is an important part of recovery, and good for morale.
  • Comfort food is an important part of recovery, and good for morale. Especially chocolate! :agree: Sorry to hear about your illnesses, King Frog. I'm sure those colds had you croaking in a bad way. :bighug:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    That's a bummer, Allen. Hope you get out from under it quickly! After coaching and getting some admin work done at the pool, I actually left the pool without swimming. I never do that. It was painful to leave. But I felt the most I'd be able to do was maybe 250y and wasn't sure if it would make things worse. Hoping I'm better off to see if I'm better a bit tomorrow I could do 1,000-2,000 EZ (15-30 minutes). Probably best, I ended up coming home and sleeping three hours in the middle of the day. My husband just brought pretzels and m&ms to my pity party. Maybe not the best thing with a reduced workout load but mmmmm....salty sweet. I think this party might need a movie. Something funny. Ahhh, preztelz and m&m's my long ago treat. Your hubbie is awesome. I know what you mean, about the pain of leaving the pool. Every day that I workout on the floor, I peek in at the pool and hate every body thats swimming. :blah: just kidding, but there are a few friends who stopped swimming in this pool b/c they kept getting sick. This is some weird strain that just won't quit. I swam last week and although I definitely had my energy level close to normal, I felt out of sync. Yesterday, I was on the couch all day with aches, wet cough and chills. Not sure how to kill this bug. And I did get my flu shot.