Spending the winter sick? Join the Pity Party! Woot!

I am so annoyed with the frequency of viruses this winter. I'm trying to get myself ready for my first 10K swim this summer and building a nice base but I just keep getting hit with what feels like every virus known to man. I know it's not overtraining it's just simply that I've got a kindergartener, I've been volunteering with all those boogers once every two weeks, and I have been needing to visit the pedi with an older child for a chronic condition. So, the whole family keeps catching new and "fun" things. I'm trying to keep my spirits up about adapting and missing training but it's tough when I have to miss so many days and then have so many easy days on top of it while my body fully heals. I'd be just rolling with the punches if I didn't have such a large goal lined up for this summer. I really am keeping my spirits up because I don't need added stress or worrying or getting nervous. But I know I must not be the only one in the middle of winter sickie blues and others might like to join the pity party. :cake::party2:
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    mtall, please let me join your party! I don't have a goal like yours, but I am beside myself over how sick I've been the last two months. first I was dx'd with pneumonia, then followed on the tail of pneumonia with bronchitis. I did not exercise for almost 2 weeks - in the last 30 years I have only ever gone 5 days straight without exercising. The thing is, I had minimal symptoms after the pneumonia cleared up (which I've never had before), other than extreme fatigue. I just knew I couldn't swim, and it took weeks before I could get up enough energy to go back to the gym and do weights and biking. I had my swim gear in the car, on my way to the ENT, all set to swim after almost 8 weeks of no pool, when he said I had a serious sinus infection - no swimming. Back on the third round of antibiotics and prednisone. this was tough for me, since I normally steer clear of taking antibiotics. Whatever is going around here on the East Coast is very resistant to the normal recovery period and medications. I had my first swim this week and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Get better soon. I teach youngsters and also part time babysit a toddler, and kids are constantly absent due to fevers, colds, stomach virus, you name it. Even the parents have been cancelling kids' lessons because they are so sick.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    mtall, please let me join your party! I don't have a goal like yours, but I am beside myself over how sick I've been the last two months. first I was dx'd with pneumonia, then followed on the tail of pneumonia with bronchitis. I did not exercise for almost 2 weeks - in the last 30 years I have only ever gone 5 days straight without exercising. The thing is, I had minimal symptoms after the pneumonia cleared up (which I've never had before), other than extreme fatigue. I just knew I couldn't swim, and it took weeks before I could get up enough energy to go back to the gym and do weights and biking. I had my swim gear in the car, on my way to the ENT, all set to swim after almost 8 weeks of no pool, when he said I had a serious sinus infection - no swimming. Back on the third round of antibiotics and prednisone. this was tough for me, since I normally steer clear of taking antibiotics. Whatever is going around here on the East Coast is very resistant to the normal recovery period and medications. I had my first swim this week and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Get better soon. I teach youngsters and also part time babysit a toddler, and kids are constantly absent due to fevers, colds, stomach virus, you name it. Even the parents have been cancelling kids' lessons because they are so sick.
Children
No Data