Kicking without the kick board

Former Member
Former Member
How important are kick boards? Can I ditch my kick board and just use a snorkel so I can put my head down and breathe or is there a benefit that kick boards offer that I wouldn't get if I did ditch the kick board? It gives me such a headache.
  • Nope. Some would argue you should never use a kick board. If you don't like using one, don't use one!
  • I gave up kickboards a couple years ago. I've been nursing a sore shoulder for awhile. Kickboards just put needless strain on my shoulder. Besides, when kicking without a board, you can focus on body position, break into a drill, kick on your back, side or front, do all sorts of things you can't do with a board. I actually like kicking on my back with my arms up (elbows or higher out of the water).
  • I like using a board, but I also use it face-down with a snorkel. My shoulders like it that way
  • I like using a board, but I also use it face-down with a snorkel. My shoulders like it that way I do 90% of my kicking without a board for the same reason; however I do free kicking without a snorkel. I will either do a scull to grab a quick breath or do *** pull with a flutter kick.
  • The benefits to kick boards over other types of kick sets are: - great for socializing - unlimited air - can feel like a break between tough intervals (where you're supposed to cruise on purpose) I've ditched the kick board for any set that's purpose is to be a better kicker. But I had a lovely cool down chatting with a pool mate using a kick board earlier this week - still helped the muscles slow down and at that point I couldn't have given another inch of good technique anyways.
  • The benefits to kick boards over other types of kick sets are: - great for socializing - unlimited air - can feel like a break between tough intervals (where you're supposed to cruise on purpose) I've ditched the kick board for any set that's purpose is to be a better kicker. But I had a lovely cool down chatting with a pool mate using a kick board earlier this week - still helped the muscles slow down and at that point I couldn't have given another inch of good technique anyways. Agreed! The only time I use a kick board is if the front desk staff decides to put the 70's station on the sound system, and if others at the pool don't mind if I crank it up a bit. At the end of a workout, I can muster up the energy for one last kick set before cool-down, if I have great classic rock tunes to inspire me. ​ :dj_dance:
  • Why would use a floatation device that makes it easier when you want to work your legs more? :confused: Besides - it's hard to do a front or back flip turn with a board. :agree:You guessed it, I never use one.:D
  • I believe that a kick board is a useful device for the *** stroke. With a kick board, you can concentrate on the proper kick without the distraction of breathing and timing.
  • Besides - it's hard to do a front or back flip turn with a board. A little off the topic of this post but I just learned a drill recently designed to teach kids to do a proper flip turn by holding a kick board in each hand behind them, kicking into the wall and doing their flip turn. Teaches them to keep their arms up and not moving while flipping. I bet this technique could be applied to create a fairly smooth turn with the board. But I agree, I'd rather just open turn with a board.
  • Have you tried breaststroke kicking on your back? Yes. when I kick without a board I kick breaststroke on my back. I believe kicking breaststroke on a board simulates the kick better than on your back without one, because the body's movement trough the water is different (possibly because the butt and knees are moving in opposite directions when you are on your stomach versus back)