Snorkel use

Our coach doesn't give specific times or workouts to use the snorkel. I love mine but I'm not sure when it's the best time to use it? I have been using it at the end in the pull sets but can it be effectively used in main cardio focused sets?
  • I have trouble keeping the snorkel straight at faster speeds off the wall. Does anyone have feedback with the new speedo sprint design yet?
  • As with any swim tool, snorkels can be useful training aids, so long as they are used for a specific purpose and do not turn into a crutch. For example, you can work on your early vertical forearm using a snorkel: https://vimeo.com/82897160 However, it is important to keep in mind that overuse of the snorkel limits swimmers' ability to develop and maintain the proper timing of the breath, and a breathing pattern.
  • I have used it when scuba diving, but not in the pool. I guess I need to work this into my swims.
  • I mostly use mine during warmups. I'll swim 1-200 to get the blood moving, then swim 2-300 with the snorkel to really get my stroke in order - check it out so that it's exactly right, then I ditch it again afterwards. I use it mainly to help stroke check before getting into main sets.
  • Give it a try sometime in warmup or something relaxed because there is definitely a learning curve. I can pretty much guarantee you'll be convinced you're going to drown the first time you try it! Hah, OK, I'll certainly keep that in mind!!
  • I use my snorkel for much of my warm up. With the snorkel I can go very slow if I want to to really concentrate on a particular movement.I also use it any time I am swimming freestyle at 200 pace or slower. I have twitchy shoulders and having the snorkel helps me keep balanced so I have less shoulder pain. I use it for all my kick sets as the body position is more like swimming than with a kick board is.
  • I use it (when I actually swim) and write it in to every workout. One thing I really like it for is power work...fins/paddles/snorkel doing reps on a power rack or bungee for example. IMHO I see to many people using it at low speed, doing drills, warming up/down, etc. and missing out on the conditioning effect you can get by using in speed work.
  • I have trouble keeping the snorkel straight at faster speeds off the wall. Does anyone have feedback with the new speedo sprint design yet? I've had this same problem and figured out that it is happening mostly when my streamline is a bit "loose" coming off the wall. When I focus on having my arms very tight against my head and not opening up until I initiate my 1st stroke then it will stay straight.
  • I've had this same problem and figured out that it is happening mostly when my streamline is a bit "loose" coming off the wall. When I focus on having my arms very tight against my head and not opening up until I initiate my 1st stroke then it will stay straight. thanks, I do have trouble keeping my arms tight to my head off the wall. Maybe that is the reason I did a triathlon 2 weeks ago and there was guy in my wave racing with a snorkel. :nono: On the other hand, when not racing, and using a pair of fins, goggles, and a snorkel, a swimmer can quickly find all of the best coral reef areas within 1 km of beach in a few hours.:fish2::fish2:
  • Several people in this thread have commented to the effect that snorkels are good for aerobic work or breath control, or to be used when you do not want to go fast. I disagree with these notions. Once you become acclimated to using the snorkel then it doesn't impact access to oxygen at all, even if you use a restrictor (which basically just strengthens the muscles associated with inhalation). And the only place I find that a snorkel affects my swimming speed is off the walls on sprints, since I don't feel I can quite cut loose fully for fear of the thing being ripped away. Many people -- even bilateral breathers -- will favor one side when push comes to shove. Others have mentioned this, but I think snorkels help balance the stroke because you don't favor either side. And yes I also think they are good to work on early vertical forearm, particularly when paired with the appropriate paddles (nowadays you'll have to pry Finis agility paddles from my cold, dead fingers). Like Paul, I also favor snorkels when doing power work with things like parachutes or other in-water resistance devices.