Swim watch

Does anyone have a recommendation (or a warning) to share about a swim watch? I'm looking for something to help me count distance and/or strokes. I'm thinking about the Garmin Swim. I have the Garmin Forerunner (for running) and am pretty happy with it.
  • Does anyone here use the Misfit Shine (advertised by Missy F.)?
  • Does anyone here use the Misfit Shine (advertised by Missy F.)? I used the MisFit Shine as an activity tracker instead of getting the more more popular fitbit which will be ruined in the pool. The Misfit is strictly an activity tracker -- it only tracks the number of minutes you swam and the intensity. It does not count laps, strokes or any of the metrics expected of the dedicated swim watches. As an activity tracker to track steps, sleep, etc it worked well enough for it's price pointe. However, I don't not recommend the Misfit Shine because both the wrist strap and the belt clip are flawed. Mine kept falling out and eventually was lost.
  • I got the Swimovate Poolmate last year. It's great for pool workouts: sets, laps, time, strokes, stroke rate, efficiency. Not good for open water since it is not a GPS.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I'm a fitness swimmer and currently considering to get a new swim watch but not sure which one? Don't know much about the new ones fitnesstracker24.com/.../ Need a tracker with good analytics and easy automatic tracking. Has anyone of you guys tied Moov Now or XMetrics http://www.xmetrics.it/ already?
  • I've been using the Garmin Swim for a couple of months and I like it very much. It counts laps perfectly, I've never seen an error. The lap splits are interesting to ponder and the swolf and "strokes per length" data are instructional as well. Seems like swimming is a perfect activity for the pursuit of continuous improvement and the Garmin Swim helps me evaluate the data.
  • I got a garmin swim a few months back and I love it. I have very thin wrists, all the other garmin watches were too big. The garmin swim fit perfectly. It counted my strokes and laps as well. Although the shortest distance you can have is 17 m, I believe. So far it has detected all my strokes correctly as well. I ran out of space once when I tried to save my swim logs and it asked if I wanted to purge the previous entries, which is a good thing. I was worried my log for that swim would have been lost. I also use swim.com which is automatically synced with the garmin connect. There is also a drills mode that allows you to mix with lap swimming. I found that extremely useful. The only problem is that the face has no light. So hopefully your pool has enough light for you to look at it while you are swimming.
  • I've been using the Apple Watch (2nd generation) for swimming for about 3 months now. You do have to put it in, "workout mode," first. It essentially seals itself up, and you can't really do much with it until you finish. You can tap the screen to see your current distance/calories/time. Once you're done, scroll the wheel and it will unlock. You still need to stop the workout. Separately you put in your height/weight/which wrist you wear your watch on. The major flaws I have are: * doesn't track kicking * doesn't track doing 1-arm drills (for arm you don't have it on). Otherwise, I really enjoy the watch keeping track of my swimming, plus all the other things it does.
  • I've used Garmin 920XT a triathlon watch with pool mode like the Garmin Swim, Swimovate Poolmate 2, Misfit, and Fitbit Flex 2. You need to decide what you want to track and also plan for potentially outgrowing what you get. The Garmin, Swimovate and Flex 2 all work on the principal of counting laps based on your turns. The Garmin and Swimovate are about equal in accuracy. Swimovate is smaller on the wrist and much cheaper but lacks customizable display, is hard to read while swimming, and measures a lot fewer metrics. Garmin is much pricier, large on the wrist but is easy to read in the water, has customizable display, and gives way more info. I started with a Poolmate as a lap counter before I started Masters and learned about intervals, pace clock etc. I later switched to Garmin. I was happy with both devices for their respective purposes. (I also use my Garmin for triathlon and open water). My Poolmate is still working fine but has been passed on to a family member - I have outgrown it. My misfit was strictly an activity tracker. All it will record is how long you swam and how intensely. I do not recommend it as stated by another forum member because both the belt clip and the wrist strap are flawed. You will definitely lose your device. Mine kept falling out of the holder and was lost after about 3 or 4 months. I also do not recommend the Fitbit Flex 2 for swimming and frankly it is not even a very good step counter. I recently posted about it on another thread, but the short version is that it lacks a display, it only counts swimming sets longer than 10 minutes, has a poor app, and only a three day battery life. In summary both Garmin and Poolmate are quality devices at different price points and feature sets.
  • Does the Garmin 920XT show you your actual split when you hit "pause" for the interval timer? Now a year later, I am looking to upgrade to something that will do open water as well. But it really annoys me that on the Swim when I hit interval on, say, a 50 it will show :35. Really? It's better than the pace clock but my $20 timex gave me more precise splits, it just didn't record enough of them. :35 could mean :35.4 or all the way down to :34.6. I'm sorry, but if I'm trying to do a few fast splits for time and no one to time me, that's a pretty big range. It will show the tenths in the upload. But real time would be a confidence boost or kick in the pants. And forget trying any USRPT style sets with it. I'd be cranky to spend a lot more on a watch that didn't give this basic chronograph feature in real time.
  • I've been using the Apple Watch (2nd generation) for swimming for about 3 months now. Here is a review: www.macrumors.com/.../ I feel the HR tracker is surprisingly reasonable (I say "surprisingly" because I didn't expect it to work well at all), though I've heard others who use it for running and cycling say that it is consistently low. The distance/laps tracker is not reliable at all for pool swimming. Besides not working for kicking, if you have any kind of underwater kick then it will significantly under-estimate the yardage. But if you just do freestyle back and forth it is probably fine. I feel like the calories tracking is a little low too. I've always liked the AW as a general-purpose device and I'm glad they added a swim workout to it. But I'm not very obsessive when it comes to fitness tracking; if you want to depend on a watch for serious tracking, I'd go elsewhere. As the review said, it would probably work well for OW swimming (and it has built-in GPS).