Swim watch

Does anyone have a recommendation (or a warning) to share about a swim watch? I'm looking for something to help me count distance and/or strokes. I'm thinking about the Garmin Swim. I have the Garmin Forerunner (for running) and am pretty happy with it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    But it really annoys me that on the Swim when I hit interval on, say, a 50 it will show :35. Really? After you hit PAUSE, just push the blue button two times. Then you will see your split time with 1/100 sec. I love my GARMIN SWIM. It counted my laps perfectly for the last three years (obviously no 1-arm-drills and kicking-sets).
  • I kept it simple after reading all of these reviews. I purchased a Sportscount Lap Counter & Timer. Sportscount has many models, mine is the LCT. I swim 200 lengths (5,000 yds) every day. Counting is the most boring thing imaginable. This counter fits on your index finger with the readout pointing towards your face. It has a manual button that you push at the end of each lap. This of course means a small effort on your part, but eliminates the issues with some watched that don't recognize your stroke (free, just kicking, etc). It gives you the following: Total laps, total time elapsed, Avg. lap, quickest lap, longest lap times. The only downfall is if you forget to hit the button at the end of a lap on time it will screw up your shortest & longest lap times at the summary, but you still get the counts, total time & avg.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I've recently been on the search for a nice waterproof swim watch. I did a bit of research on some of the best options available and compiled them into a coherent review here: reviewboard.io/.../ Hopefully this helps you and anyone looking for swimming fitness trackers get a better idea of what's out there and what to look for before purchasing one.
  • Here is a review: www.macrumors.com/.../ I feel the HR tracker is surprisingly reasonable (I say "surprisingly" because I didn't expect it to work well at all), though I've heard others who use it for running and cycling say that it is consistently low. The distance/laps tracker is not reliable at all for pool swimming. Besides not working for kicking, if you have any kind of underwater kick then it will significantly under-estimate the yardage. But if you just do freestyle back and forth it is probably fine. I feel like the calories tracking is a little low too. I've always liked the AW as a general-purpose device and I'm glad they added a swim workout to it. But I'm not very obsessive when it comes to fitness tracking; if you want to depend on a watch for serious tracking, I'd go elsewhere. As the review said, it would probably work well for OW swimming (and it has built-in GPS). I agree with most everything you said. For something I wanted anyway, it is nice to be able to track swim workouts too. Now that I've had it a few more months, I've played around with it even more, and I stand by my earlier review, with these additions: * It does give 100 splits, but you don't control anything. So if you swim 3000 yards, it will give you 30 splits, and includes any rest, kick sets, etc. * It tracks stroke. Mine is either, "freestyle," or, "mixed." I guess I should do an entire set of breaststroke and see what happens :afraid: I was actually going to say it over-calculates swim calories :banana: For a 500 in the gym pool holding a 1:30/100 pace it will give me about 100 cal. That's about 20 cal more than it gives me for a similar time of running...but then again, I'm just building back my running. The HR seems about right for me. I've been on beta blockers since a procedure in late October and I noticed an immediate change in my resting HR (lower). I don't often look, but you can view the HR through the Apple Health app, and it is interesting to see the ranges throughout the day (when I wear the watch at least).
  • I've always been a bit of a snob when it comes to swimmers wearing watches while training. Used to swim with a kid who wore one of those G-Shock watches (they are laaaarge), and got clobbered a couple times hitting wrists while going in opposite directions. Left some spectacularly colored bruises. Anyhoo. Slowly coming around on the idea of them. Been taking a look around at some of the best waterproof fitness trackers and didn't realize that Speedo had partnered up with a wearables outfit to make one (MisFit Shine 2)... I like how slim it looks as well. Has anyone played around with one of these?
  • Has anyone tried any of the different swim apps on the Apple Watch? It looks like swim.com makes one and the one Fares designed, myswimwatch I think, looks interesting, too. I like having a daily fitness watch but having to take it off for my pool workouts and switch to a waterproof watch isn't my favorite thing.
  • I have a Garmin, and it is pretty much useless for anything other than a stopwatch. Anything else people like? Is there anything that lets one set intervals? Or that and rest. Example, if I'm hitting anything that doesn't end in 0 or 5, with a 20 second rest interval, I can't keep up with that. And so far my guesses have been a bit off, so when I have printed out the times to start, they are off. The other thing.......anyone see the new Samsung Fit2 Pro? Waterproof fitness thing that shows more info than whatever the waterproof fitbit shows. Heartrate is a big one I'd loev to be able to see. But it isn'tw orth the $200 just to see that. Wondering if anyone has used it and if it is more reliable than the Garmin in terms of stroke count of even yardage.
  • Has anyone tried the Apple Series 3 watch for interval swimming? I currently use a Garmin Swim Watch, and am interested in capturing heart rate information as well as detailed time information. Can the series 3 watch capture an end of swim interval time well?
  • Does the Garmin 920XT show you your actual split when you hit "pause" for the interval timer? Now a year later, I am looking to upgrade to something that will do open water as well. But it really annoys me that on the Swim when I hit interval on, say, a 50 it will show :35. Really? It's better than the pace clock but my $20 timex gave me more precise splits, it just didn't record enough of them. :35 could mean :35.4 or all the way down to :34.6. I'm sorry, but if I'm trying to do a few fast splits for time and no one to time me, that's a pretty big range. It will show the tenths in the upload. But real time would be a confidence boost or kick in the pants. And forget trying any USRPT style sets with it. I'd be cranky to spend a lot more on a watch that didn't give this basic chronograph feature in real time. The data fields are quite programmable. I have mine set so that it will show me splits and interval times. The outdoor pool i use in the summer lacks a clock so I use the watch instead. I've also used it at a pool that only has an analog clock which I have trouble seeing (have yet to find optical goggles that I like). The watch is less convenient than a clock but does work. I do remove it if we are working on diving off the blocks. I also have to be careful not to get lazy about counting laps after an embarrassing incident where I finished a 200 after only going 150.
  • I use the Garmin Vivioactive. It really does everything the Garmin Swim does. When I use it with the open water app that you can download for free the GPS and the heart rate monitors work. For the default swim app forget the heart rate, which I do not like.